Bad Boot Drive?

Reaction score
Hello Mac-Forum,

My desktop has been having issues lately and I just wanted a second opinion.

My set-up
MODEL: Mac Pro Mid 2010 desktop
PROCESSOR: 2 x 204 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
MEMORY: 6 GB 1066 MHZ DDR3 EC
GRAPHICS: ATI RADEON HD 5770 1024 MB
SOFTWARE: Running Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)

My computer is a little over two years old but it has been freezing on me a lot. No beachball, no keyboard, just a frozen arrow.

I believe my boot drive is going. I have backed up all my important files and am ready to try replacing the drive. I can get the same model drive originally installed for about $60.

I just want reassurance that all I need to do is replace the drive in the bay and reload my OS. Seems too simple.

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just want reassurance that all I need to do is replace the drive in the bay and reload my OS. Seems too simple.

It is simple and since you have a Mac Pro, getting at things is so much easier than with my iMac. :) If you intend to replace the drive, now is the time to replace it with a larger faster model or even a SSD. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you tried using Recovery and Repair Disk to see what Disk Utility bsays about the hard drive?

OP
T
Reaction score
I have done all the easy recovery "apps" that I know.

What is this about a bootable thumb drive? How does that work? I've never heard of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Recovery is not an 'easy' application but part of the operating system, a built-in set of trouble shooting utilities.. Read this and try it:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

OP
T
Reaction score
You can use this, DiskMaker X, to make a bootable USB installer. You need to have the Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks installer file downloaded from the Mac App Store. They work great, I had a DVD of Lion, but then the files got too large for DVDs so I made flash drives and SD cards for the others.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to give it a try. :Cool:

OP
T
Reaction score
Recovery is not an 'easy' application but part of the operating system, a built-in set of trouble shooting utilities.. Read this and try it:-

OS X: About OS X Recovery

Sorry for the imprecise wording. I meant 'easy' to mean 'the first thing I tried' and "apps" should have been "utilities". My apologies. :[

I'm definitely going to try the Mac OS X Recovery system, I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.