What OS can I get for old mac?

Reaction score
I have a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2006, so it is considered "vintage" I'd like to update my OS, but think I am maxed out.

I have Lion, 10.6.8

I can't upgrade to the OS X Mavericks. Can anyone tell me if I can upgrade at all?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2006, so it is considered "vintage"...

What is the definition of "vintage" these days??;) Some folks (especially on Craig's List & eBay) throw the term "vintage" around pretty liberally.

I'd like to update my OS, but think I am maxed out.

I have Lion, 10.6.8

I can't upgrade to the OS X Mavericks. Can anyone tell me if I can upgrade at all?

This MacBook max's out with OS 10.7.5 (Lion). So if it is currently running OS 10.6.8...you can upgrade it to 10.7.5.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
No, mac calls my machine "vintage" not me!! LOL It's still new to me, but they no longer support machines before 2007 because they say they are "vintage"

It's not a mac book, just an imac

I'll try to get 10.7.5 thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, mac calls my machine "vintage" not me!! LOL It's still new to me, but they no longer support machines before 2007 because they say they are "vintage"

My question was mostly investigative...since I feel many folks have varying definitions of "vintage"...and there probably isn't any one agreed on definition. Especially with electronics/computers...which become obsolete/depreciate so quickly.

Yes...I've heard of Apple calling things "vintage". I think that it's Apple's convenient or politically correct way of saying..."We don't want to work on that anymore!";)

It's not a mac book, just an imac

I'll try to get 10.7.5 thanks

Sorry...I don't know why I assumed a MacBook (the original post actually didn't mention what model it was...iMac, MacBook, Mac-Mini, etc.). Thanks for mentioning that it is an iMac. If I have the correct model...10.7.5 is still the max. OS.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.