Osxfuse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This application, OSXFUSE version 2.6.4 has suddenly appeared in System Preferences. There is nothing I have installed of late, other than Disk Drill Pro. Anyone have information on it as don't like these self installing apps?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It supposedly replaces MacFUSE Harry. Read about here. It wouldn't install by itself Harry. Someone there must have downloaded it.

Reaction score
DiskDrill requires it for some reason and installs it. I got it too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Oh, great, thanks guys - my Disk Drill Pro was complaining MacFUSE was out of date, now I know what to do :) Not that I use any NTFS drives, and one old ext3 is in NAS, so that's fine too ... for now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
DiskDrill requires it for some reason and installs it. I got it too.

That's strange, I installed Disk Drill Pro and OSXFuse did not install on my machine. Besides, I don't know why I would even need it since I do not have any NTFS or Linux formatted drives.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Uh-oh...looks like I may be the one to blame for this (Disk Drill).:(

FWIW...I installed Disk Drill on three of my computers so far...and I have a couple more to go. I checked on one of them...and yup...it was there in the System Preferences.

I clicked on the icon...and got a window with an uninstall button/option. I clicked the uninstall button (since I didn't want it)...and it said that "OSXFuse" didn't appear to be installed (which was a bit confusing).

I then right-clicked on the OSXFuse icon in System Preferences...and chose "remove".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Is there a negative side to having OSXFUSE installed? I have plenty of processing power and storage, so that's not a problem.

As I said, DiskDrill was complaining about MacFUSE, and now, since I installed its replacement, it seems happy ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a negative side to having OSXFUSE installed?

I don't know, however, it's not installed on my system and Disk Drill Pro seems happy without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Removed it, fired up DiskDrill Pro, got the pop up notification, that my MacFUSE is out of date (there isn't one), so installed the OSXFUSE back ... unless I hear that, it has some negative effect on the system, I'm letting it stay ... :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I launch Disk Drill...after (I think) removing OSXFuse...I get the "Internal Module Update Required" message.

I e-mailed the Disk Drill folks to see what exactly the connection/relationship is between Disk Drill and this MacFuse/OSXFuse program.

I will post their reply.:)

- Nick

OP
harryb2448
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good work Nick. I removed it also from System Preferences and get the same message about 'Internal Module' business. Think software developers would advise when this sort of installation by stealth occurs. Getting like the Windows World. Even worse according to this MACOSXFUSE will not even work properly with Snow Leopard OS X.6 and not at all with later operating systems!

https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/FAQ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, it'll be great to hear, whether it is actually required for correct operation of DiskDrill ... No point having unnecessary code running on the system.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering why I'm not receiving an error about OSXFuse? I have Disk Drill Pro monitoring SMART status and have run the app several times.

OK, I just ran "Find Any File" and found the OSXFuse package installer here:

Macintosh HD/Applications/Disk Drill.app/Contents/Resources/OSXFuse.pkg

But as far as I can determine, it did not install, but I get no error when running Disk Drill Pro.

M

MacInWin

I think it may be the presence of Paragon NTFS which negates OSXFuse. I run Paragon, and Disk Drill and didn't get OSXFuse or any prompts about it at all.

Does that correlate with any of your experiences?

EDIT: Nuts, you guy's doomed me. Now DD is throwing up the OSXFuse notification. I canceled the install of it. Oh, well, I'll quit using DD and use DR+ if anything happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You only need OSXFUSE if you need to use Disk Drill on a volume not supported natively in OS X. Disk Drill does tell you this when you first run the setup after installing, and you can skip it. I did, and it's working fine without it. (Edit: not quite right, see my next post)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Here's the details on that... I had to look it up on their site since my memory of what it said exactly was failing me.
How to Uninstall Disk Drill
(Optional) Go to System Preferences -> Fuse for OSX and click Remove OSXFUSE (Fuse would only have been installed if you opted to mount scanning results as a disk image. If you don’t see it in System Preferences, then it was not installed.)

So basically, disable the option mentioned, then uninstall OSXFUSE and you are good to go.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You only need OSXFUSE if you need to use Disk Drill on a volume not supported natively in OS X. Disk Drill does tell you this when you first run the setup after installing, and you can skip it. I did, and it's working fine without it.

Good catch! You sir, get the Sherlock Holmes award.... ;D

(I just read your edit.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So basically, disable the option mentioned, then uninstall OSXFUSE and you are good to go.

This is what didn't work for me:

- Went to System Preferences
- clicked on the OSXFuse icon
- got the "Uninstall" option
- did the uninstall
- got a message that OSXFuse didn't seem to be installed (message from the OSXFuse installer)
- Right-clicked on the OSXFuse icon in System Prefs to remove it.
- Launched Disk Drill
- Got the message "Internal Module Update Required"…which is the OSXFuse.

So if it's not installed…and icon was removed from Sys Prefs…why am I still getting this message?? That's why I e-mailed the Disk Drill folks to get the answer directly from "The Horses Mouth".:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just did the same exact same process as described in my last post on a 2nd computer I had Disk Drill installed on…and got the same results..."Internal Module Update Required"???:Confused:

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.