Osxfuse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is what didn't work for me:

- Went to System Preferences
- clicked on the OSXFuse icon
- got the "Uninstall" option
- did the uninstall
- got a message that OSXFuse didn't seem to be installed (message from the OSXFuse installer)
- Right-clicked on the OSXFuse icon in System Prefs to remove it.
- Launched Disk Drill
- Got the message "Internal Module Update Required"…which is the OSXFuse.

So if it's not installed…and icon was removed from Sys Prefs…why am I still getting this message?? That's why I e-mailed the Disk Drill folks to get the answer directly from "The Horses Mouth".:)

- Nick

*shrug* I don't have OSXFUSE in my System Preferences and I'm not being bugged to install it. At least, I don't think I do. I'll have to check it when I get home. In your case, you may have to start from scratch. I suspect you should have disabled the option to mount results as a drive image first. In any event, it certainly sounds like this feature is being handled clumsily on their part.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
*shrug* I don't have OSXFUSE in my System Preferences and I'm not being bugged to install it. At least, I don't think I do. I'll have to check it when I get home. In your case, you may have to start from scratch. I suspect you should have disabled the option to mount results as a drive image first. In any event, it certainly sounds like this feature is being handled clumsily on their part.

No problems…thanks for trying.:) I don't feel like figuring it out at the moment. That's why I e-mail the developer.:)

I agree. If there was an option to disable the install of OSXFuse initially…I must have missed it!:( And I agree…this feature is handled clumsily (or maybe they meant it to be that way).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problems…thanks for trying.:) I don't feel like figuring it out at the moment. That's why I e-mail the developer.:)

I agree. If there was an option to disable the install of OSXFuse initially…I must have missed it!:( And I agree…this feature is handled clumsily (or maybe they meant it to be that way).

They do tell you point blank that it will be required if you choose the "mount as disk" option when you run the initial setup. I remember that very clearly now and I opted to not use that option when I installed it a few days ago. I forgot about it the next day and when running a scan, I started to enable that option and was reminded again about needing OSXFUSE, so I skipped it again. It's just mighty easy to keep clicking through.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They do tell you point blank that it will be required if you choose the "mount as disk" option when you run the initial setup. I remember that very clearly now and I opted to not use that option when I installed it a few days ago. I forgot about it the next day and when running a scan, I started to enable that option and was reminded again about needing OSXFUSE, so I skipped it again. It's just mighty easy to keep clicking through.

FWIW…all of the computers I had Disk Drill installed on were via the Demo Download. I've had Disk Drill installed on my computers for months. Since I frequently upgrade my computers by buying "new to me" used computers…the initial reason for Disk Drill was for the "Uptime" hours feature (to see how many hours the HD's had on them, since they were used computers).

Then the $9.00 Disk Drill deal came around…and I bought it. So I didn't need to do any downloading & installing at this point…I just needed to enter the activation code into the already installed Disk Drill app on my computers.

So…maybe…the install interface for the Demo is different then it is for a "paid for" download & install. Maybe…maybe not. All I know is…when I install one program (Disk Drill)…I don't expect a secondary app to be installed as well.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sunova... it IS in my System Preferences! An older version... 2.6.2. It's saying 2.6.4 is available. Ok... rolling up my sleeves here to get to the bottom of this...

EDIT: one brief finding here. When I selected "Remove OSXFUSE" from the preference pane, it appears that the drivers are uninstalled (now says "OSXFUSE does not appear to be installed"), but not the preference pane itself. Basically that option is more like "disabling" it than uninstalling it completely. Similar to how Perian's preference pane works.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... on first launch, it defaults to an option to "Review and manage scanning results as a disk". There's a ? that leads to an info bubble that explains OSXFUSE will be needed, and is only available to registered users.

First.jpg

And leaving that option checked is what installs OSXFUSE. When getting the prompt for your password, I thought it was just a final installation for Disk Drill, but that's not the case. If you de-select that option, OSXFUSE won't get installed, but you will still have to enter your password to continue, typical of any utility.

I can definitely recommend unchecking that option. If you leave it checked, then you get the persistent message up top to upgrade your license, even after entering your reg code. That struck me as odd when I saw that the message never went away when I registered. Also, the option to mount results as a disk is now completely missing. Before, it was a toggle at the bottom. There is no option to enable it anywhere. I'm betting the toggle would re-appear if I manually downloaded and installed OSXFUSE. Even now, I'm getting notifications when I run Disk Drill that I need to install it.

Basically, I think this is easily chalked up to buggy behavior and lack of clarity on the developer's part when OSXFUSE is about to be installed. This must be a relatively recent feature added because I don't recall encountering before in the couple times I've tried it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basically, I think this is easily chalked up to buggy behavior and lack of clarity on the developer's part when OSXFUSE is about to be installed. This must be a relatively recent feature added because I don't recall encountering before in the couple times I've tried it.

Thanks for digging in so deeply on this!:)

When I "upgraded" my Disk Drill "demo install" (after I purchased)...I swear that I got a window similar to what you included in your post above. And when I reviewed it...I left it at it's default settings.

Also...looking at that window in your post...Disk Drill doesn't seem to clearly say "install/don't install" OSXFuse (I think that you mentioned needing to look at one of the "?" bubbles). AND...the app doesn't seem to clearly/easily say that OSXFuse is needed vs. optional.

Again...like you mentioned...seems to be a pretty clumsy/confusing interface...(I guess nothing is perfect).;)

Now I'm afraid that the Disk Drill folks I contacted (in Germany) are going to thing that I'm some "crazy" American from Colorado...smokin too much weed!!!;)

I still like the app...and for $9.00...worth it. I guess it just takes a little homework...to figure out how exactly it works.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also...looking at that window in your post...Disk Drill doesn't seem to clearly say "install/don't install" OSXFuse (I think that you mentioned needing to look at one of the "?" bubbles). AND...the app doesn't seem to clearly/easily say that OSXFuse is needed vs. optional.

Yeah. I thought it was "clear" when I first posted, but in retrospect it only seemed clear because I had checked the bubble before proceeding. I still coulda swore I was getting prompts to install OSXFUSE even afterwards. I swear, my short term memory is really starting to go on me. Hmmph... so this is what getting old is like... :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Nick...did you ever hear back from the Disk Drill people? I JUST discovered Fuse for OS X installer in System Preferences. I did not install it and I removed it from System Preferences. Now when I open DD, I get the prompt "Internal module - update required".

I read through all the posts in this thread. It has been a hard day...what is the final verdict on this issue?...needed or not? I'm running 10.6.8 and have no plans of messing with any other file systems. Thanks!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.