Printer problem

SRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,2017 Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4.
I have a problem with a printer. HP Photosmart 5510 wireless connection. Following a paper jam that affected the print head carriage the touch screen is not working except for an occasional flash and the on off button works but does not light up. There is some loss of functionality but I can scan and print from the computer. The printer head does not go into the centre position when opening the cover to enable cartridge replacement Do you think it is fixable or it it perhaps shot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I doubt anyone here can say for sure. We just don't know what it is that happened when the paper jammed, or when you "unjammed" it. Loose cable? Something knocked out of alignment? A bent bar? Combination of these? We don't know.

OP
S

SRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,2017 Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4.
Your mention of a loose connection made me look a bit further and I found it. A bit of a fiddle to get it back in but all is now working well again. Thanks very much for your prompt response and help
SRL

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The paper jam surely couldn't have affected the touchscreen or the physical buttons, it might have messed up the printer head..

Printers like this HP one are very cheap, and in a lot of cases it's just easier to upgrade to a newer version than trying to fix this old one..

OP
S

SRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pinter problem

Hi Raz0rEdge
The paper jam had dislodged one of the ribbon connectors in its socket that must have been the connection for the touch screen but not the rest of the functions. However it had not actually come out until I touched it. Once it was pushed back in all was well again but it was difficult to get to
Thanks SRL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.