Outlook wont launch

Reaction score
I see the splash page and then it wont launch. I have tried rebuilding a new identity and after a lengthy process i get an error message saying that my database could not be rebuild [-18000]. Then i tried to delete the outlook preferences in the library which did not work either. I'm at a total loss.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the new identity didn't work and it won't let you re-build the data base, only one recourse left that I know of - and that's a remove and re-install. Unfortunately, removing Outlook means removing all of MS Office and re-installing. You will not lose any of your documents, custom templates, work sheets, presentations, or email. But just to be safe, I would back them up to a separate folder somewhere anyway.

Follow these instructions to completely remove MS Office. Make sure you have your serial number on hand when you reinstall or you won't be able to activate.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you!

I appreciate the notes about s/n, I'll have to dig up the box. I hope this works. I have an apt with apple this afternoon in case it doesn't but i don't think they'd give me any advice on a MS product.

//dawn

OP
D
Reaction score
Follow up..
Looks like i was able to take all MS off my computer and reload successfully. Unfortunately all the folders in my outlook are missing. This may sound naive but is there a way to 'find' them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This may sound naive but is there a way to 'find' them?

Removing Office (Outlook) and reinstalling does remove the folder structure but your email messages and notes should still be available. Do you have a Time Machine backup that you can restore your folders from?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.