iPhone for use in GB, F, and D

Reaction score
I need an iPhone for use in UK, France and Germany. As I have broadband access in each country, there would be little Internet use from the iPhone – just seeking information, hotels and so on from the car. Should I go for a worldwide-unlocked phone and purchase SIM cards in each place? In France, the problem used to be that the validity of pre-paid cards was ridiculously short but I understand there is now a provider (LeFrenchMobile) where this does not apply.

The waters are muddied further by the announcement that EU roaming charges are to be abolished.

Comments appreciated.

M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which iPhone do you currently own and what carrier are you with? The reason for asking is that some iPhones can be used world wide with the purchase of the proper sim.

The Verizon iPhone for example can be used in Europe by inserting a sim card in the slot. That enables the phone to use GSM. T-Mobile iPhones likewise are unlocked and with the proper sim will work in Europe. I'm not sure about the AT&T iPhone.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks chscag for your reply. We are Europe based and have an MPB and two iPads (but without mobile access) but have never had an iPhone; I’ve always resisted the latter and relied on cheap pay-as-you-go mobiles on the basis that that is all we need. However, following a delay on the motorway that involved trying to find a hotel in the middle of nowhere, my wife has convinced me that an iPhone would be a good idea. Our broadband providers are EE (formerly Orange in GB), Vodaphone in D and Orange in F.

M

Reaction score
Mikeo, I've used LeFrench before for my iPad whilst on a trip to France + Austria in January . Worked well. Bought a European internet package, which was a bit pricey at the time but I've noticed it's gone down quite considerably since then - Data Bundles

Main reason I bought it is because it was unlimited, I didn't use all the internet so I've given it to my daughter for her to use on a school trip next month. As you say, use WiFi for skype and the like, but it's useful for maps & iMessage.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks TommyB1985 for the info.

So is your iPhone one of the ‘worldwide unlocked’ variety that you bought from Apple or had unlocked? Or did you get it via your provider (perhaps in GB)? I thought that the latter kind ruled out the changing of SIMs abroad. I like the idea of different SIMs because people in the three countries would be able to call us via what would be (for them) a national mobile number.

I’m unsure how these data bundles work: are they all part and parcel of a prepaid SIM?

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Not sure about EE, but if you get your iPhone from 3 you can have it unlocked for £30 - this will be done by Apple and the status will carry onto any replacement under warranty (or repair), if you happen to drop it, etc. :Blushing:

Works perfectly not only in Europe, but across the pond too - both Caribbean and the US, just check the supported frequencies for your model on Apple site - I've eight different SIM cards, apart from main 3 one ... lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've eight different SIM cards, apart from main 3 one ... lol

Al right David, now tell us how you keep the sim cards straight being able to tell which is which? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So is your iPhone one of the ‘worldwide unlocked’ variety that you bought from Apple or had unlocked? Or did you get it via your provider (perhaps in GB)? I thought that the latter kind ruled out the changing of SIMs abroad. I like the idea of different SIMs because people in the three countries would be able to call us via what would be (for them) a national mobile number.
M

I have family in Aust that travel to GB and The EU and they have a unlocked iPhone and buy a SIM in the Countries they travel to/in
This makes for by far cheaper calls and Data usage for you, and makes for cheaper calls to you from friends.
They are easy to keep track of, as most of them have there own Telco brand on the SIM, or they usually just Marker them with the Country initials on them.
Thats how I would be doing it any who's :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Al right David, now tell us how you keep the sim cards straight being able to tell which is which? :D

:eek: They all got those little logos on them ... plus my psychic abilities have increased with age :Smirk: - even without my glasses on, I can never mistake, say, BTC (Bahamas) card for MTC (Russia) one

OK, to be fair, AT&T logo is cut in half on my old 3G card, but I can still recognise it :Cool: lol

Reaction score
Thanks TommyB1985 for the info.

I’m unsure how these data bundles work: are they all part and parcel of a prepaid SIM?

M

I actually misread your initial question, I used Lefrenchmobile for my iPad (which takes cellular data and is unlocked) when I came over from the US so needed something to keep that connected whilst on my vacation. I assumed you were in the same boat when I responded! :Oops:

I think however, as long as an iPhone is bought unlocked in Europe, you can use any european sim card in it (and most US ones too), chopping and changing as much as you like as the bandwidths are all the same if i'm not mistaken?

As for the data bundles, you buy the card first and then activate it online once you've received the card. Seemed simple enough.

Whenever I'm looking for a sim for travelling I tend to use this Wikia Pay as you go sim with data Wiki

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry not to have acknowledged your reply before … VMT for the information and the link.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.