Is it possible to revert from 10.8.5 to 10.8.2?

Reaction score
I have an iMac Intel core i5 w/ 16G ram. Bought it used with lots of software. Upgraded from 10.8.2 to 10.8.5, and some of the extra software won't run now. Mainly I'm concerned with CS5.1. My use of CS is low-volume, I don't need cutting edge, and I cannot afford the new by-the-month rental or whatever they call it. But I do need it, and it seemed to be working before the OS upgrade.

So. Is there a way to go back to 10.8.2? I sure do wish I'd done some investigating before I upgraded, but I didn't.

Semi-separate question: I can get an unopened copy of Lightroom 4 (full) at a good price; if you're familiar with it can you tell me how it differs from Photoshop, and whether it will run on my current system, or on my regressed 10.8.2, if that is possible to do?

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks so much!
Judy

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

It's hard to imagine that software that worked with 10.8.2 would stop working with 10.8.5. Either way, all that software you got with your used iMac is illegal since you likely didn't get all the original discs with your purchase and should've been wiped off the machine before being sold to begin with.

We will not aide in piracy on these forums..

Purchase the software legally and we can help you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an iMac Intel core i5 w/ 16G ram. Bought it used with lots of software. Upgraded from 10.8.2 to 10.8.5, and some of the extra software won't run now.

This is sort of unusual that such a small OS update...going from OS 10.8.2 to OS 10.8.5...would cause software incompatabilities. And when it does...usually you can go to the software developer's website for an application update to ensure compatibility.

Of course this brings up the fact that this computer was bought used...with lots of software on it. The official ownership of this software (serial numbers, registrations, install media, etc.) I'm betting wasn't transferred to you. So when you go to a developers website (or try to use a programs "Update" feature)...this probably isn't going to work...since technically & legally...you are not the true owner of the software.

Mainly I'm concerned with CS5.1. My use of CS is low-volume, I don't need cutting edge, and I cannot afford the new by-the-month rental or whatever they call it. But I do need it, and it seemed to be working before the OS upgrade.

So. Is there a way to go back to 10.8.2? I sure do wish I'd done some investigating before I upgraded, but I didn't.

This is actually a VERY common situation...where a used computer is sold either accidentially or on purpose...with lots & lots of software from the previous owner/the seller.

The seller probably paid BIG BUCKS for Adobe CS 5...and had no intention of passing ownership of CS 5 onto the new owner of the computer. Since they most likely fully intended to install their legally owned & paid for version of CS 5 on their new Macintosh computer.

In reality...you are not the true owner of this software. Sorry.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

It's hard to imagine that software that worked with 10.8.2 would stop working with 10.8.5. Either way, all that software you got with your used iMac is illegal since you likely didn't get all the original discs with your purchase and should've been wiped off the machine before being sold to begin with.

We will not aide in piracy on these forums..

Purchase the software legally and we can help you.

Looks like I duplicated a lot that you said!;) I was messing around on my computer (multi-tasking) while composing my post...and it took about 12-15 minutes to fully compose & post.

Looks like we were on the same wavelength!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I didn't know all of this. The seller told me it was legal since they were getting rid of all the computers they had; it was a company going under.

Please excuse my ignorance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry, I didn't know all of this. The seller told me it was legal since they were getting rid of all the computers they had; it was a company going under.

Please excuse my ignorance.

It certainly sounds like an innocent situation from your standpoint.:) But...if the "company person" selling the computers was any sort of IT person...they would certainly know!;)

But then again...if the "company person" was just some unlucky employee (that wasn't a computer expert) and was tasked with this project (disposing/selling of the computers)...they may not have known the fine details of computer software ownership/transfer.

Here's the Adobe monthy cost breakout for Adobe products. If you only need one Adobe app...if I understand things correctly...the $29.99 cost/month for one app doesn't seem too bad ($19.99 for students/education).:) But of course everyone's budget is different.

Buying guide | Adobe InDesign CC

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, I certainly wasn't intending to ask for aid in piracy. Had I known that it was or may have been illegal software, I certainly wouldn't have posted the question so openly. You might have considered that before being accusatory; some of us did not grow up with this technology and are doing our best to learn what we have to to function. It's not easy and that's why I came to this forum, not to be shamed for believing what i was told by someone who should have known but maybe was dishonest. All's well as far as the illegal software since I can't use it anyway, in spite of having been so stupid about it.

You are welcome to delete this thread and my account, as I can't find a way to do so. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I certainly wasn't intending to ask for aid in piracy. Had I known that it was or may have been illegal software, I certainly wouldn't have posted the question so openly. You might have considered that before being accusatory; some of us did not grow up with this technology and are doing our best to learn what we have to to function.

I don't think anyone accused you of any sort of piracy. We were simply explaining how the ownership of the software on this computer was probably not transferred to the computers new owner.

It's not easy and that's why I came to this forum, not to be shamed for believing what i was told by someone who should have known but maybe was dishonest. All's well as far as the illegal software since I can't use it anyway, in spite of having been so stupid about it.

I agree...it's not easy...and no one is shaming you. You were simply misinformed by the seller of this computer...and now you know. Life is a learning experience. If all of us knew EVERYTHING...no one would ever learn anything or ever make any mistakes.;) And we know that this just isn't true.

But even if everyone is not a computer expert...I think that just about all of us have heard the saying..."If it seems too good to be true...it probably is."

Thus...getting what probably amounts to $1000's of dollars of expensive software for free...probably falls into this too good to be true category. And I'm pretty darn sure you knew before buying this computer...what Adobe software was worth.

You are welcome to delete this thread and my account, as I can't find a way to do so. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Sorry...we do not delete threads. They are here for everyone to learn from (past, present, and future). As far as your account. I would recommend keeping it. I think that Mac-Forums is the best place to get help with Apple products...and I bet sometime in the future...you may need some assistance again.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go back to the seller and ask for the original DVDs and activation codes for the software. You will soon find out if you were conned alas.

C

chas_m

For the record: I have Photoshop CS3 (that's as in "2007 era CS3") running just fine on Mavericks. The issue you're having has nothing at all to do with moving up to 10.8.5, and would not be fixed even if you found a way back down. The software is, for want of a more technical term, broken now.

The fundamental problem you have is that you don't have the installer, and without it you can't reinstall because you don't own the license. So forget about whatever CS app you were using, it just won't work anymore. Find a substitute, like Pixelmator or Acorn for image editing as an example.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.