Macbook Retina and images

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm doing graphic design with a macbook retina since a month ago.
Even it's just a 13'', it's not so bad to work on it cause of its resolution.

I just noticed a problem: I draw infographics for my website and I save them in jpg or png.
While I'm working on Illustrator, everything seems ok.
After I save them in jpeg or png, the images look blurry!

I noticed the same thing in other websites.
Is this normal or I'm doing any mistake?
Thanks a lot!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
JPG is not a lossless format, PNGs however are. What resolution are your infographics in originally? Ensure you are aren't scaling or doing anything like that when you export to PNG/JPG..

OP
T
Reaction score
JPG is not a lossless format, PNGs however are. What resolution are your infographics in originally? Ensure you are aren't scaling or doing anything like that when you export to PNG/JPG..
The same problem appears with both jpg and png.

I'm not scaling anything. In the "save for the web" preview, the image appears smaller than it should be at 100%.
When I open the saved one, I can see that the 100% version is all blurry.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ahh, "Save for the web" will try to reduce the size of the image and thus quality. See if there is an Export functionality instead and for JPGs at least you should get a slider of sorts that allows you to set the quality of the file. Set this to the maximum and see how it looks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
No, there's always the same problem.
I think I got it. Seems like that retina displays need bigger images to show them clearly.
5 Things I learned designing for high-resolution retina displays

For the retina displays to show your image at its best, you need to not only match their resolution or higher, but also their dpi count. Normal LCD monitors are about 72DPI give and take. But I do believe retinas are much higher, well they have to be anyway.

For my photography books, this is something Apple points out I will have to consider when designing my books and formatting my images for those books.. But this is something I will also face in the next few months..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.