I know this sounds antiquated, but How can I back down tol Tiger from 10.6.8?

Reaction score
My problem is that I need the Classic Environment to open so that I can convert older files to Indesign, etc. Anyway, that is not so easy... Where can I find Tiger, the OS that will run the Classic environment???

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You will first need to locate the physical installation media for Tiger, next you will need to find a machine that is capable of running it. If your machine came with Snow Leopard or Leopard on it, that's the earliest versions of OS X it will run, you cannot downgrade it further..

OP
kimward34
Reaction score
So is it possible to install and place Tiger & Classic on an external drivel? Run it separate from my 10.6?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We need to know the specs of your mac. Click on the Apple in the top left and on about this Mac. Show us what it says there for cpu and other things.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why don't we just stick to fixing things that we talked about in your other thread??

Since your Mac currently has 10.6.8 installed on it...and you need Rosetta to run older applications...why not just purchase the $19 Snow Leopard install disk (and install rosetta) or install Rosetta via the internet...like I suggested in the other thread (but I don't think you replied to).

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...2-help-my-old-software-does-work-rosetta.html

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My problem is that I need the Classic Environment to open so that I can convert older files to Indesign, etc. Anyway, that is not so easy... Where can I find Tiger, the OS that will run the Classic environment???

Do you really need the "Classic Environment"? We're talking the older Mac OS 8, and Mac OS 9 from the Late 1990's..

If this is really the case...then you would need to search e-Bay for retail install disks of OS 10.4 "Tiger".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Wait a minute. If your computer is capable of running Snow Leopard (10.6), then it isn't a PowerPC Mac, and it can't use the Classic environment.
Sorry.

If what you mean is to run PowerPC apps via emulation using Rosetta, then you can do that on 10.6 by installing Rosetta

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait a minute. If your computer is capable of running Snow Leopard (10.6), then it isn't a PowerPC Mac, and it can't use the Classic environment.
Sorry.

Great point!:) That's why I was also trying to confirm if the OP understood what the "Classic Environment" really is (Mac OS 9 and earlier from about 15+ years ago).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.