Do I need a new iMac?

Reaction score
I have a G7.1; 2.4GHZ core 2 duo and 2GB ram. 320 GB HD. I am feeling very frustrated as of late as it is acting very bogged down by the large OS and also I am in dire need of a HD clean up. Plan to wipe and reinstall only what I NEED.

My question is should I attempt to upgrade the HD to a SDD and put the 6GB ram bundle in or am I still going to find the machine too underpowered due to the aged chipset? I don't have enough need or money for a new iMac, and need a new laptop more anyway. I hate to bury a good horse if all it needs is new shoes?

LMK what you think, all comments are appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would:

- Upgrade the ram to at least 4gig.
- Make sure the computers HD is NOT more than 80% full.
- Make sure you reboot the computer probably at least once/week. This helps in certain ways to keep the computer running efficiently.
- download & run the free maintenance program "Onyx". Then just click on the "automation" button:

Titanium's Software • Index page

- read the "speedup" & "beachballs" links in my signature

HTH,

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
I would:

- Upgrade the ram to at least 4gig.
- Make sure the computers HD is NOT more than 80% full.
- Make sure you reboot the computer probably at least once/week. This helps in certain ways to keep the computer running efficiently.
- download & run the free maintenance program "Onyx". Then just click on the "automation" button:

Titanium's Software • Index page

- read the "speedup" & "beachballs" links in my signature

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks for the quick response!

Curious why 80%? Doubt I'm below that, have had the threatening messages saying I was running critically low...

I have a back-up HD external now that I am SLOWLY moving my files over onto.

Also, 2 more questions:
Can I upgrade the chip?
Suggestions on SSD to install?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Curious why 80%? Doubt I'm below that, have had the threatening messages saying I was running critically low...

Approx 80% full (~20% free space) is just an approximate area that seems to work well. Obviously 20% free on an 80gig drive is going to be much different than 20% free on a 1 terabyte drive.

If you're getting that warning message...then your drive is way way too full...and you better start deleting or offloading items NOW! Not only is this probably one of the major reasons for the computer to seem slow...if the drive gets completely full...your computer will lock up...and you won't be able to do anything!!!:(

I have a back-up HD external now that I am SLOWLY moving my files over onto.

Excellent idea!:)

Also, 2 more questions:
Can I upgrade the chip?
Suggestions on SSD to install?

Nope. Can't upgrade the chip. As far as the SSD. Why not do everything mentioned above (especially the HD stuff)...and see how things feel (speed). I bet its going to fell much better once you get the HD space worked out, run Onyx, upgrade the ram, and reboot the computer regularly.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.