• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buying a New Mac

Reaction score
I will be buying a new Mac in the next couple months. Need lots of info on buying a Power Mac G5 vs one with the Intel chip?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
We will need to know what you will be using your new mac for to be of any help. The PowerMac G5 is a professional level workhorse that is great for graphical type work. Currently there isn't an Intel chip for this professional line of macs.

The iMac line does have both currently: a 20" 2.1GHz G5 and both a 17" 1.83GHz and 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo. These computers are the consumer level desktops from Apple.

So what are you looking to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
You might try looking around the forums a bit instead of asking such a broad question. Here are some good threads to start with.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

I've also found the search tool (just below the banner ad) to be handy on many occasions. Once you have something more specific, I'm sure there are lots of people who would be happy to help you.

OP
C
Reaction score
I am collection all information I can before I buy. I have been using Macs for about 15 years. I am a graphic designer (full time) and do some free lance at home. Currently I have a Mac G4 dual processor that is running on OS 9.2. Applications I use are Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, XPress...your typical graphic programs.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Sounds to me like you might need a G5 Powermac Quad.

I don't have a Mac at the moment but i'm looking to change. I'm sure someone will be along soon with a better suggestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.