Thinking about an iPad Mini

Reaction score
I was gifted a Nook recently that I have used primarily as an ereader. However, it's functionality with WIFI is quite convenient. I'm considering an apple 'Ereader' (e.g. the iPad mini). My intention is just to make things smooth with my Mac laptop and iPhone...Keep it all in the family. Can the mini function WELL as an Ereader? Are all the purchased apps on my phone useable on the mini?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can the mini function WELL as an Ereader?

If you have an Apple Store (or another retailer that sells Apple products) near you...I would say go check it out in person. A hands/eye's on test is the best way to decide.:)

Are all the purchased apps on my phone useable on the mini?

Depends on the app. Some apps are iPhone only, some iPad only, and some are hybrid (both).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can the mini function WELL as an Ereader?

How good are your eyes? For me the Mini is too small to use as an eReader which is why I have a full size iPad. If your eyes can take long reading sessions on a small screen, it should be OK. Like Nick stated above, it's best to test one out for yourself before buying.

C

chas_m

Also, it should be noted that an iPad can run ANY iPhone app in a pixel-doubled mode, so even on the (rare) chance that you have a particular app that is only available as an iPhone app, it will still work on the iPad. IOW, any purchases you've made will work.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I much prefer reading on the mini (I have a full-size iPad as well).

The type is no worse than reading a paperback novel, and the mini is far nicer to hold for long reading sessions.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. There is a MACstore I can frolic about....Can I use 'non-iTunes' purchase ebooks on the mini (e.g. from Amazon, a library, or stuff that is already on the nook)?

thanks again.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice. There is a MACstore I can frolic about....Can I use 'non-iTunes' purchase ebooks on the mini (e.g. from Amazon, a library, or stuff that is already on the nook)?

thanks again.

Kindle and Nook APPs on the iPad allow you to use DRM eBooks purchased from them, plus easy to add non-DRM titles

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know about the Nook, but the free Amazon Kindle app can be installed on your Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, and so on. As long as you pay for the downloaded book from Amazon, you can also read it on all your other devices that you've installed the Kindle app on. Very convenient.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about the Nook, but the free Amazon Kindle app can be installed on your Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, and so on. As long as you pay for the downloaded book from Amazon, you can also read it on all your other devices that you've installed the Kindle app on. Very convenient.

Barnes & Noble has an APP too; I used to have it installed, but I don't have any purchases from them so I deleted it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I use e-reading apps on my iPad mini, but my main e-reading device is my Kindle (early-generation with what they now call the 'paperwhite' screen).

Reaction score
We have both types of iPad and I can tell you that the WIFI reception via the mini is poor compared with the standard size iPad.

M

Reaction score
I have a Mini and a Kindle. I wouldn't use the iPad to read on unless i wasn't near the kindle. Not a fan of backlit screens to read with, find the kindle is much easier on the eyes.

Reaction score
Reading on Kindle

I have a Mini and a Kindle. I wouldn't use the iPad to read on unless i wasn't near the kindle. Not a fan of backlit screens to read with, find the kindle is much easier on the eyes.
If you read on the iPad version of Kindle why not use white on black to cut down the glare of black on white? Not only that but it saves on power surely?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.