Playing AOE2 Conquerors on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I followed the advise on the link How To Run Almost Any Windows Game On Your Mac Without Boot Camp Or Parallels Using Wine [Feature] | Cult of Macand managed to get the game working on the mac just fine. But when I started the game there was no option to play LAN games as I usually can do on the PC. The best part is that the installation files are the same as the ones my bro uses for his Windows PC and he gets all the options.

I've also been trying to play Command and Conqueror Red Alert 2 on the mac as well and having the same issue.

Anyone knows a good fix for this? What is the best way to get windows games working on the mac without having to install windows on boot camp or parallels?
I have tried the wineskin method and crossover Mac demo.. None worked as good as the way the above link did.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "Cult of Mac" instructions for using WINE to run Windows games don't work for all games. Neither does CrossOver work for all games or even all other Windows apps. I have both WineBottler and CrossOver (registered version) that I use and it's usually hit and miss.

The only guaranteed way is to use Boot Camp and install Windows natively.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I agree that some games don't work at all. Its would be the best solution, but not something that I want to do. I don't want to allocate space for an operating system that I won't be needing or using 80% of the time.
As for the above mentioned games, they work fine in single player mode. No issues there at all. The only problem I'm facing is when I need to play with friends over the LAN.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's understandable about not wanting to allocate space for an operating system that you won't be using except for a few games. However, what I stated still goes... neither WINE nor CrossOver are guaranteed to run everything. More importantly, neither is guaranteed to work at all for multi-player games over a LAN network. I'm not even sure if Parallels, Fusion, or the free VirtualBox would support those games for LAN play.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The extent of my gaming on the PC does not go beyond the following.
Age Of Empires 2 Conquerors
Red Alert 2 & RA2 Yuri's Revenge
Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour

That's about it. I'm not much of a gamer and when I do, I mostly play on LAN with friends. And this happens on very rare occasions. Another thing is that I actually hate windows. Had so many bad experiences with it and I'm forced to use a PC at work. My Mac at home is like my safe refuge away from that garbage. ;D
One thing you can see is the games above are old ones from the Win98 era. And so their system requirements are not high. I could probably invest in a cheap netbook that will be able to handle them. I just thought there was some progress being made in Wine that will help me better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.