• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

*facepalm* Adobe thinks "root" is required to remove PDF plug-in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was having some hassles reading a PDF file in Safari since reinstalling Adobe Reader, so I decided to just pull their internet plug-in. I was completely dumbstruck when I found that their FAQ insists you have to enable and log in as root to do so. This is, of course, completely wrong, as any admin user can remove it.
Acrobat Help | Display PDF in browser | Acrobat, Reader XI

Disable AdobePDFViewer plug-in

You must have root user privileges to change the Safari plug-ins. To display PDFs using the Safari PDF viewer, you must disable the Adobe PDF Viewer.

1. Quit Safari.

2. Log in as the root user. The root user privileges aren't enabled by default because the root user can change system files. For more information and instructions, see one of the following Apple documents: Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X or OS X Mountain Lion: Enable and disable the root user.

And on and on and on. All for a plug-in in /Library. The sheer ignorance here is astounding. Telling people who don't know better to enable root just opens up a can of worms, and it's completely unnecessary.

EDIT: They have a "feedback" button on that page. Everyone please feel free to give them feedback on this. They really need to fix this.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed. Perhaps they're intended for an earlier OS X release? Was there a time where a standard user couldn't elevate perms on the fly?

EDIT: I see where they pointed out instructions specific to Mountain Lion. sigh...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
All of that could be avoided if Adobe provided an uninstaller or if Safari had a way to disable plugins (as any other modern browser can).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Agreed. Perhaps they're intended for an earlier OS X release? Was there a time where a standard user couldn't elevate perms on the fly?

I think we've always been able to elevate permissions on the fly.If we haven't it has been so long ago it would be irrelevant to anyone trying to install recent versions of the plug-in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Adobe is obsessed with root - I was getting the 1301 error, trying to update my Acrobat Pro, and I wasn't going to let them have a go, while I was login as root:

ScreenShot2014-04-13at162953_zps62184000.png

Guess what finally worked? Having the original DVD (it was part of CS5 Design Standard) in the drive did the trick - no errors, no silly messages about installation been modified, no requests to login as root ... Why didn't they say so in the first place?! As this was the last update for Acrobat Pro 9, I won't have to worry about it for a while, that is, until I do something stupid, like buying a new CS ... :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.