transfering files to new mac

Reaction score
user name and password

I have bought a 2nd hand imac and wish to transfer the contents of a G4 using Migration Assistant. I have been asked for the name and password of the administrator user. I have lost this information. Can anyone tell me how to find it again please

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Contact the original owner and get the information from them. That's the easiest solution.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm transferring from G4 to Imac and the panel requesting administrator user and password has opened on the G4. I have had the machine for ages and have completely forgotten where I wrote the information.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What are you transferring over that requires the administrator's password? That seems unnecessary unless you're moving content from an odd location.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean by everything? Most of the relevant content should be transferrable without having to enter admin credentials.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have solved my access problems and have my original G4 running Tiger (10.4.11) linked to my new Imac running 10.9 via a firewire cable. The Imac will not accept the arrangement although it sees the G4. This upgrade after all the trouble free years I have enjoyed with my mac will be the death of me.
I want to transfer all my applications and files from the G4 to the Imac without a dialogue box constantly telling me sorry you can't do that.
Can anyone give me an idiots guide please?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged threads

OP
P
Reaction score
I don't think I can do "Lion" which is why I want to upgrade in the first place. Here is the spec of my current Mac:
Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4
Machine Model: PowerMac3,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.4.8f2
Serial Number: CK239H9JNLP

Why is nothing that easy?

Any more thoughts?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are a couple of different PowerMac G4 machines with the model identifier 3.6. You won't be able to run Lion on any of these machines. The latest OS they can run is Leopard. System requirements here.

Be aware that Leopard is not exactly cheap given its age. A quick check of eBay indicates that it's selling for between $50 - $100.00. US. Don't waste your money on the Gray label versions of this disc often sold on eBay. They won't work unless they are from the same model Mac as yours. The disc you would need is black and purple with a large X on it.

See this thread for a picture and additional info. While you're there give member RavingMac a rep bump for that information.

OP
P
Reaction score
OK so now I'm even more confused. Are you saying that I can run Leopard on my Mac (do you need further info to help you answer that? - if so please ask and I'll try to find out)
If I can run Leopard will that enable me to transfer everything to my new Imac and if so How do I do it?
Forgive my ignorance - I just use it and what goes on under the bonnet is magic.
Furthermore I'm way too old to learn new tricks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like you could run Leopard but I'm not sure it will solve the issue you are having. Perhaps one of the other guys can confirm this but I think that even if you install Leopard you would be asked for a password to see those files.

I've seen some procedures for resetting an account password without having a disc. I've never used them though so I will leave it to other to chime in with specifics and their drawbacks.

OP
P
Reaction score
I found a CD (software install and restore) so I have changed my password and now have access.
So far as updating my OS to Lion is concerned I should make it clear that this G4 is pre 2008 and is not intel duel core. Thus I believe Tiger is as far as I can go. This is why I have upgraded to a recent Imac running Maveric and why I am frustrated by the fact that I don't seem able to transfer the content and applications. Is there any solution?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could go to Leopard but it really doesn't change your situation much. The older PowerPC applications won't run under 10.9 (Mavericks) anyway. Transferring the data should work OK.

C

chas_m

What we're trying to say here is that your pictures, documents and so on -- the stuff you created -- will transfer to your new machine once you get the admin issue sorted out. None of the G4's applications, however, will come over as they are probably all unsupported on the Intel-based Macs. This means that you will likely need to get updated versions of some applications or find substitutes for some of the third-party programs you were using.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found this earlier today. you will need to Call Apple to order Snow Leopard Server and purchase Parallels to be able to use PowerPC apps on any mac running Lion or newer.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6841

I am not sure I would go down that road just yet. The cost of the Snow Leopard Server and Parallels combo could easily run well over $100.00 or more depending upon how much you pay for Snow Leopard Server. I've seen Snow Leopard Server prices from about $20 to more than $80 and parallels will cost you an additional $80 unless you can find a deal somewhere. You will have spent over $100 and you are still running older software in an emulator which is one slow things down a bit.

Here is what I would do in this situation:
1. Transfer your data only to the new Mac.

2. Identify what programs you will need to open the data.

3. Determine whether any of the applications already on the Mac might open the data. Preview, for example, can perform a number of basic functions with PDF documents. If you are having trouble finding alternative applications post here and let us know.

4. You might be able to avoid upgrading many of your apps. Although this will be somewhat time-consuming, you won't waste time and money upgrading apps unnecessarily.

OP
P
Reaction score
From Imac to G4 Target Disc Mode works fine now although it is a slow process. However, I now find that the greedy people at Adobe have stopped supporting my Photoshop CS V8 which cost me a second mortgage so it won't work on the Imac in 9. Is there a way round this that won't drain my pension?

Last edited by a moderator:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, I now find that the greedy people at Adobe have stopped supporting my Photoshop CS V8 which cost me a second mortgage so it won't work on the Imac in 9.
Photoshop CS (v. 8) was released in October of 2003, nearly 11 years ago. I think it's fair to say that 10+ years of support is more than sufficient.

You might be able to get an upgrade discount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.