New iMac 27" late 2013 help and questions!

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought the new 27" iMac 3 days ago and I'm quite satisfied with it. Nevertheless, I have some questions and a problem to report. I tranferred everything from my previous 2011 iMac to the new one without an issue.
Yesterday night while I was browsing in Firefox and had Skype, VLC, iTunes and Mail open the whole iMac locked up. I could move the mouse but I couldn't click on anything. Everything was frozen completely plus the music from iTunes had stopped. I pressed the power button and shut the Mac down forcely. When it restarted I went to my log files to search for a report but there wasn't any. How can I resolve the issue since it's a brand new iMac and I don't want it to be faulty or anything.
I have a question as well. My previous iMac had 3 fans inside but the new model has only one fan. Won't this create an overheating issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I'm sure one fan is more than adequate. I can't imagine them incorporating a design (1 fan) which would cause an overheating issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. Do you happen to know how I can resolve the lockup issue or how I can find a crash report?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi and Welcome to the Mac Forums!

I have the same exact machine as you have, however, I purchased mine last November. Your new iMac only has one fan because that's all it needs. Your old iMac had a fan over the optical drive - your new iMac has no optical drive, hence, fan not needed there.

The one large fan it uses cools the CPU - GPU and draws air from below up and over the hard drive assembly keeping it cool. You might notice the open vents at the bottom of the machine and the large exhaust vent right below the stand bevel. Cool air is drawn in at the bottom and exhausted thru the other vent. Very efficient cooling system, no need to be concerned.

As for the lock up you experienced, if it occurs again post the log here for us to look at. Keep in mind that your iMac is warranted for one year and you have 90 days of free telephone support from Apple. So take advantage of both. And... I strongly advise you to purchase Apple Care before your 90 days of free telephone support are up.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. I have apple care already it was given to me as a gift with the purchase of the iMac from the store!
I will monitor the behaviour and if it happens again I will have a technician look at it!

OP
A
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I had lockups yesterday as well. So, I decided to perform a clean installation of Mavericks. It took me a few hours to install everything but I had to do it. I contacted the technician from the store which I bought the iMac and he told me to monitor it and if it happens again take it to the store!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ring Apple support. You have 90 days free contacts. I would be sending it back to Apple for replacement rather than wasting time with a technician at a store.

Reaction score
Sorry about your imac issues.
I know that my solution to these problems are without basis, but....frequently work:

Boot up in "Safe" mode.
Shut down then boot up normally.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.