Need to keep restarting MAIL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
On my 2011 MBP, running OSX 10.9.2. I have two gmail accounts and one msn account. Every few days I notice that email I receive on my iPhone or iPad is not received on my MBP. I can wait for days and it does not come in. If I exit Mail and then restart it, then I get a flood of new email and all of the messages are finally received. Gmail seems to be a bigger problem than MSN mail. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which mail protocol are you using for gmail and hotmail (MSN) ? You should have both your accounts setup as IMAP.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
I have been using MAIL on my MBP for several years. I have two Gmail accounts, an iCloud account and an MSN.com account. Both GMail accounts stop receiving email, the other two keep working. GMail is using the imap.gmail.com incoming server using Port 993 and SSL. Ever since upgrading to Mavericks it has been unreliable. I'm running all the latest upgrades and have 10.9.2 running. Today I noticed that no mail had come in for the past two days. I have found that by taking each gmail account off line and then right back on line, that in a few minutes all the missing email will come in. I did that today around 2:00 PM. I noticed that gmail had come in on my iPhone around 5:00 but it wasn't showing on the MBP on both gmail accounts. I took both servers off line and then back on line and mail came in. I have been sitting at this computer working all afternoon, so the MBP hasn't gone to sleep, even once.
I'm sure others have seen this. Is there a fix for it? Is it a problem with Mavericks?

Sure is annoying to have to depend on my iPhone to see mail come in.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use imap on the two gmail accounts using port 993 and SSL. MSN.com is using a POP server. MSN works, both gmail accounts stop receiving mail. I found that by taking the gmail accounts off line and then right back on line that mail will come in. But it will stop receiving email within the next couple of hours.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There was a problem with Gmail and 10.9.2 but it's been fixed. Update Mavericks to 10.9.3 and you should be OK.

And do not start a new thread for the same subject. Both of your threads have been combined here.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you.

I had forgotten that I had posted this same problem here last month. I saw it after I had posted it. Sorry. I know that's not a good thing to do. Thanks for combining them and thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know there was another update to Mavericks. I'll upload it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.