Re-installing iBooks into Mac 10.9.2

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
Finding that metadata editing is not offered in iBooks (for Mac) yet, along with issues about not being able to sort for things such as authors, I found a solution in one of the forums for removing iBooks from my iMac. This automatically brought "Books" back into iTunes.
Now finding a workaround, using ecalibre to edit the metadata, then loading into the iBooks app, works fine. (I can live without my preferred sorts.)
How do i re-install the iBooks app for Mavericks without reloading the whole OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You will need Mavericks either on a USB or downloaded onto your Mac and in the Applications folder (the latter being the best option) and use the free App called Pacifist to dig down through the .pkg to the Applications Folder to the iBooks.app and extract it to your current Applications Folder.
This is the ONLY way without a OS reinstall.

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
You will need Mavericks either on a USB or downloaded onto your Mac and in the Applications folder (the latter being the best option) and use the free App called Pacifist to dig down through the .pkg to the Applications Folder to the iBooks.app and extract it to your current Applications Folder.

Thank you TattooedMac.

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

TattooedMac: I (finally) did what you suggested above. Worked outstandingly, thank you again. The only exception I did was to save off the downloaded file containing Mac OS X 9.2 into a different folder so that I can access it in the future, whether to re-install an individual app, or to install Mavericks on one of our other computers.

Thanks again.

BG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
TattooedMac: I (finally) did what you suggested above. Worked outstandingly, thank you again. The only exception I did was to save off the downloaded file containing Mac OS X 9.2 into a different folder so that I can access it in the future, whether to re-install an individual app, or to install Mavericks on one of our other computers.

Thanks again.

BG

Good to hear.

Now to save disk space, (the 5.??GB it takes up) use Lion Disk Maker and put Mavericks on a USB for safe keeping.
I now have Snow Leopard and up in a safe in my room for the "Just in case" Situation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.