Scanning/Printing Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac & MacBook Air running 10.10
We have a Mac Users group and the following comes from our members in the past week (beginning 4/4/14): (All are running Mavericks.)

2 members using HP Photosmart C4780 have had trouble scanning (and, in one case, printing). Both have tried using the HP Scan software, which won't save the scan. The most recent drivers have been download. Prizmo software, loaded on both computers, does not recognize the printer.

The only thing that works is Image Capture (and Preview's scan facility).

Another member, using an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600, has not been able to print from his MacBook Pro or iPhone 4s. His comments: "After tons of time trying to “fix’ things myself, I spent time twice with Apple’s 1 on 1, who finally referred me to HP, who ultimately referred me to my router service provider. *@#%@*& Didn’t get to that stage before almost giving up. Then, somehow I got things to work. (?) This morning I find somewhat similar probs with our HP PC. Got that working/printing now, but still an indication of a prob with the PC that requires downloading the most current driver. Can’t get that done, but at least I can print from both PC & MAC now. (???)"

Yet another member has had a problem with a Canon printer/scanner.

Anyone have any insight?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Getting scanners to work on all in one printers requires a master's course in the Black Magic Arts.... ;) Seriously, without the proper drivers, printers and scanners of any make or model are not going to work right or at all.

For scanners we recommend trying VueScan software if the all in one or scanner does not have drivers for your current version of OS X. As for printers that won't cooperate, we recommend completely removing the printer and any drivers and then do a reinstall. Generally the latest version of OS X includes up to date drivers for most popular printers.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me clarify...everything worked fine for all of us until about a week ago. We've updated drivers, reinstalled printers. We're not novices. Something is going on between Mavericks and the printers or it wouldn't,t affect so many of us. We need real solutions, not drivel.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need real solutions, not drivel.

You feel that you've received drivel from here? If so, we're through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I've had the same problem with my HP Photosmart C3100 all in one. It prints fine, but HP Scan crashes where trying to save a scan. Even after updating the driver from the HP site. I now have to use Image Capture for scans.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should have closed this thread and apologize for not doing so.

But...I resolved my problem by purchasing a new HP ENVY 7640, which I love. The older printer driver was no longer supported, even by HP. You could not update the driver, which made it incompatible with the newer OS. Even though Image Capture was a workaround, it was inconvenient.

As a bonus with the new printer, I could print from my iPad with no setup required at all.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I'm not seeing a place to close the thread!

M

MacInWin

Threads are only closed by Administrators for violations. Otherwise, they stay open so other can see/update later. Glad you got your problem sorted out.

Reaction score
I have a different scanning issue. Ever since I upgraded my OS to Yosemite, new problems have come up. The still unresolved one, is that I am able to scan via my Epson 400 printer which is connected through Wi-Fi. A document scans, but when I try to "send" the scanned image by email, it says that my internet is not connected. It is connected, so I don't know where the problem is. I did purchase an SD card and I'm thinking this may have to be Plan B. Is there a straight forward easy solution to this? Thanks so much in advance!

M

MacInWin

Are you trying to send directly from the printer, or from your email application on the Mac? It sounds like the printer is in the local network, but doesn't have access through your router to the Internet, if you are sending from the printer.

In other words, I'm confused about the problem...can you explain it more completely for me?

Reaction score
Scanning problem

Are you trying to send directly from the printer, or from your email application on the Mac? It sounds like the printer is in the local network, but doesn't have access through your router to the Internet, if you are sending from the printer.

In other words, I'm confused about the problem...can you explain it more completely for me?

I am trying to send the scanned document from my email application on the Mac.

M

MacInWin

Can you send an email at all, evan a really short one with no attachments? If so, the only thing I can think that could be blocking the sending of an attached image is your ISP is blocking it because the file is too large.

And just to make sure we are communicating, what I understand you are doing is scanning something to a file on the MBP, then trying to use the Mac Mail to send that file as an attachment.

Reaction score
Can you send an email at all, evan a really short one with no attachments? If so, the only thing I can think that could be blocking the sending of an attached image is your ISP is blocking it because the file is too large.

And just to make sure we are communicating, what I understand you are doing is scanning something to a file on the MBP, then trying to use the Mac Mail to send that file as an attachment.

I can send emails, no problem. Also, once in a while when I do send an email, I get this message that my email can't be sent because my email address is not my default email account. This just started happening out-of-the-blue. Don't know how to change to my default, but this may be the cause. However, I decided to purchase a SanDisk and this alternative is working to scan and forward to any contact in my address book. The document I was attempting to scan was just a one page insurance form. Not a lot of text so the file is not too big.

M

MacInWin

So, when you scan the document you end up with a file. You then attach that file to an email and send it, but that email, and ONLY that email, bounces back because somehow the email address you are sending FROM is not the default? But you can attach other files to new emails and they send just fine? Is that what you see happening? If so, I'm very, very confused because there should be no connection between the address your email uses for one file over another. Mail doesn't care what's in the file that is attached. And what the SanDisk (whatever that device really is) has to do with it is confusing, too. How are you "forwarding" to the contacts in your address book? What is the 'sending' application for that forwarding?

If what I described is not what you are doing, can you give us a step-by-step description of what you are doing and seeing? It's hard to remotely diagnose a problem without the details.

Thanks!

Reaction score
So, when you scan the document you end up with a file. You then attach that file to an email and send it, but that email, and ONLY that email, bounces back because somehow the email address you are sending FROM is not the default? But you can attach other files to new emails and they send just fine? Is that what you see happening? If so, I'm very, very confused because there should be no connection between the address your email uses for one file over another. Mail doesn't care what's in the file that is attached. And what the SanDisk (whatever that device really is) has to do with it is confusing, too. How are you "forwarding" to the contacts in your address book? What is the 'sending' application for that forwarding?

If what I described is not what you are doing, can you give us a step-by-step description of what you are doing and seeing? It's hard to remotely diagnose a problem without the details.

Thanks!

Sorry, for the the misunderstanding. I got off topic so this just added confusion.
I could scan to my MBP from my Epson 400, but was not able to send the scanned image via email because I would get a message that I was not connected to the internet. That was really the issue. To side-step this issue, I purchased a SanDisk. I scanned my document via the printer to the postage sized SanDisk, then placed the same disk into the slot on my MBP. This enabled me to forward it to any email address. I think the issue is most likely with my printer......
Thanks so much for all of your help.

M

MacInWin

No, your printer most likely has nothing to do with it. And there is no logical reason I can think of that a file on the SanDisk memory card is able to be sent but the same file on your hard drive cannot. Was this a one-time problem or can you reproduce it every time? And are you using the exact same email system for both files? How do you connect to the internet? Is your ISP reliable?

Reaction score
Yes, same email system for both files. My internet is Verizon so I have a solid connection. This problem happens every single time. This is why I gave up on attempting to send my scanned image via an email and resorted to a SanDisk which is working just fine. Actually, to my memory, everything worked fine until I upgraded my laptop's OS to Yosemite. I held off for several years because I knew I would have problems. I think this is one of them.

M

MacInWin

OK, let's go over something that you keep saying and that is confusing to me.
This is why I gave up on attempting to send my scanned image via an email and resorted to a SanDisk which is working just fine.
What EXACTLY does that mean? Are you sending the image by email or not? Can you copy the file from the SanDisk to your internal drive and send it from there? Technically there is no reason for your email system to care at all where the image file is stored before it's attached to the email, and your connection to the internet has NOTHING to do with file attachments, emails or any thing else you've mentioned. The SanDisk is a distraction, unless you've left out some steps to what you are doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.