Epson WF-2540 WIFI goes offline frequently

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
I use an Epson WF-2540 with my Macs (actually an iMac w/ 10.6.8, a MBP with 10.9.2 and an iPad with iOS 7) and generally have success and quality printouts. Occasionally, the printer simply goes offline via WIFI (the WIFI light is off) and I get the message the printer is offline. The Epson FAQs and Support have been useless. I am told to clear the queue (which usually is empty), delete the printer setup in System Preferences and create a new one, reinitialize my router (the router is always fine for me and others on the network and is less than 3 feet from the printer), download and reinstall printer software and/or disable the firewall which I have never turned on. There is no problems with the power, no error message is displayed on the printer and my Macs are usually less that 5 feet from the router and printer. The Macs and iPad never loose connection. This has happened on 2 different brands of routers. If I turn off the printer, wait a little while and start it up, WIFI resumes and if something was left in the queue it automatically prints.

Does anyone have anything else I could try to maintain the printer WIFI connection?

Anyone else have problems with Epson hardware?

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does anyone have anything else I could try to maintain the printer WIFI connection? Anyone else have problems with Epson hardware?

You may have a defective or intermittent WiFi receiver (antenna or interface) in the Epson. I have an older Epson NX 420 which has never lost its WiFi connection. If all other WiFi devices are working normally within your network, that probably narrows it down to the printer itself. Not much you can really do except swap out the printer if you must have WiFi printing, or attach it to your Mac via USB.

Something else: Look for any other devices that may be interfering with the WiFi signal to the printer. Cordless phones are infamous for interfering with WiFi signals.

OP
JimInSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
You may have a defective or intermittent WiFi receiver (antenna or interface) in the Epson. I have an older Epson NX 420 which has never lost its WiFi connection. If all other WiFi devices are working normally within your network, that probably narrows it down to the printer itself. Not much you can really do except swap out the printer if you must have WiFi printing, or attach it to your Mac via USB.

Something else: Look for any other devices that may be interfering with the WiFi signal to the printer. Cordless phones are infamous for interfering with WiFi signals.

Arg! I didn't want to hear about a possible hardware issue. Maybe I should open up a ticket with Epson because the printer is still under warranty. Sigh! :Angry:

I thought about interferences but the router is literally 3 feet away (above on the wall) from the printer with nothing between them. My computers, which never loose WIFI, are further away and the printer is in between them and the router. I do have a TV on the other side of the room but I think that is far enough away to not be the problem. The cordless phone is on the other side of the house.

Thanks for the response though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The cordless phone that's on the other side of the house probably does not provide enough RF to interfere so I think we can rule that out. (But let's keep it in mind, just in case.)

Why don't you try changing channels on your router and try the Epson again to see how it receives from the new channel. You'll need to access the internal setup of the router to switch channels. For example... if your router is set to operate on channel 4, change it to channel 11. Changing channels on the router does not require setting up your Mac or other devices again as they will receive the signal automatically.

OP
JimInSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The cordless phone that's on the other side of the house probably does not provide enough RF to interfere so I think we can rule that out. (But let's keep it in mind, just in case.)

Why don't you try changing channels on your router and try the Epson again to see how it receives from the new channel. You'll need to access the internal setup of the router to switch channels. For example... if your router is set to operate on channel 4, change it to channel 11. Changing channels on the router does not require setting up your Mac or other devices again as they will receive the signal automatically.

Hmm! I currently have the router set to channel 11 because no one else in the neighborhood is using that channel. I was advised to use channels 1, 6 or 11 for best results. There are 3 on channel 1 and 2 on channel 6 in the neighborhood. Also, the router is actually an Arris Internet/phone modem so if I restart it I will kick 2 other Internet users and the phones for a while. Maybe I will set my alarm for 2 am and change it then, lol. I'll get back to you then. Thanks.

OP
JimInSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before I went to bed, I changed the router channel to 4, a channel which was not being used by anyone in the neighborhood. When I woke this morning, the printer was offline. :Grimmace: I guess changing the channel didn't work. Next step is contacting Epson I guess.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering now if your model Epson has a "time out" feature built in to it? After so many minutes or units of time that it's not in use, it goes into "standby" mode and drops the WiFi signal? Do you think that's a possibility? Perhaps it's something that Epson would know.

OP
JimInSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering now if your model Epson has a "time out" feature built in to it? After so many minutes or units of time that it's not in use, it goes into "standby" mode and drops the WiFi signal? Do you think that's a possibility? Perhaps it's something that Epson would know.

Yes, it does have a stand by/low powered mode and I have it set to 5 minutes. I don't think this is the issue because there are times it wakes fine and lets me print and there are other times that WIFI just drops.

I filed a ticket with Epson today and have exchanged 2 emails with them. I told them everything I tried and they asked me to test a few things. The tests, including copying, scanning and printing a network analysis sheet were all successful meaning the printer itself is ok. It just drops WIFI occasionally. They just sent me another reply email and said I should call their tech support (of course no 800 number) and be near my computer and printer for further testing. I suppose that will be my next step on Monday. I'm just tired of dealing with the printer today.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Epson WF-7610 WIFI goes offline frequently

Hello,

it has been while now, but I have the exact same problem with a Epson WF-7610 and found this thread.
Have you solved it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Reaction score
Epson 2540 wifi

I am also having this problem. Wifi just drops. If I push menu button wifi light comes on and qued pages print. Hope you get info on how to fix from Tech support, mine is out of warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I have found the best way to use my Epson wifi is to use a 5GHz and 2.4GHz dual band router. Set the Mac up to 5GHz and the printer to 2.4GHz and it is great eventhought they are in different rooms.

Reaction score
Epson 2540 wifi

I have found the best way to use my Epson wifi is to use a 5GHz and 2.4GHz dual band router. Set the Mac up to 5GHz and the printer to 2.4GHz and it is great eventhought they are in different rooms.

I have a Comcast router and it says it is dual band but only one SSID is displayed

Reaction score
I think I have found and fixed my problem though technically, the solution is a little more complicated than I understand. I recently switched from ATT Uverse (where printers worked ok) to Comcast Xfinity (which is when printers started losing wifi). I did numerous google searches for this problem and found one that said it can have to do with when printer enters power save mode and has been connected via a dynamic IP address. I was able to tell that mine lost wifi when power save came on. So, the recommended solution was to connect the printer via a static IP address.
I found this difficult to do as it was hard to find and enter the static IP addres. Nevertheless, once done, both my WF2540 and WF545 are working and print fine even if in power save mode.

Reaction score
Jim, do you install the ethernet cord from printer to computer from the very start of installing drivers? If you do not use it from the get-go you will have problems. I have the WF2650 and it works without any connection problems

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@larrygg I had not thought of this as a possible solution. My Canon Pixma MP 990 does this periodically but I never thought to look at a static IP as a solution. I'll have to check this out and see if it solves my problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.