• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Another Call!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I keep getting these Unknown Caller notifications on my caller id. I have been getting two to three of these calls a day. I was beginning to worry that someone might be trying to figure out when we where home so they could break in. (Good luck with that - my husband is a farmer and they are never predictable :)

So, I finally answered one of the calls and got a live human. It was a person whose first language is not english. He wanted "fix" my computer and was I currently in front of my computer.....right....I played along. Told me he wanted me to type in a web address (which I didn't). At that point I decided I had better things to do. I told him this was a scam, I worked in IT and I had a Mac not a Windows computer.

He laughed and said. "Oh, a Mac...Have a good day." Yes, I will. I wish they would quit calling. Telling them to take me off the call list doesn't work.

What is really sad is that they have to be very successful or they wouldn't keep doing it. Our secretary at work sent her dad to see me because he got one of those calls and he gave them his credit card for a year of support. They would keep his computer running fast and virus free all for the low price of $360 per year. It was on a desktop I had just finished reinstalling Windows 7, all his apps and data on. I set up antivirus and ccleaner. Sent home detailed instructions on how to run maintenance on it monthly.

Anyway, he is in his seventies and on social security. He could hardly afford the "service." I told him to see if he could stop the charge at his credit card company or if he had a contact to call to get out of the service(?) He didn't have any contact info and the charge had already gone through. I told him to monitor his credit card and make sure he didn't get charged again.

I asked him if they installed anything on his computer. He didn't know. I asked how would they maintain his computer and he said he wasn't sure. I offered to check his desktop for malware but he never brought it back in. I figure he will when a problem comes up.

I understand there are a lot of people who just want a computer to play on the internet with and get email. They just want to play with it and have it work. They don't like to run scans, utilities, or updates. When a problem occurs they want it fixed now and usually for free. I don't mind helping people, but I get frustrated when I detail instructions for maintaining a healthy computer and a month later they are back in my office telling me they forgot and the computer is "sick" again. Oh, and it is always a Windows machine. As long as they can buy a laptop for $300 that will always be their choice.

Anyway, I am just venting. As long as their are gullible people there will be scams and work for people like me. Job security right?

Lisa

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
These scammers are always looking for new ways to get money from gullible folk. They make hundreds if not thousands of these automated calls and when they get someone who is a senior or not well versed with computers, they can scare them into giving them money..

Hard to educate everyone..

A call like this I got recently had the caller claiming to be from the "Investigation division of the IRS" and that my social security number was blocked or some BS. I played along for a while and offered no information, and then simply asked him what his name/number/contact info was so that I could verify and his information and suddenly his demeanor changed and he was afraid that I was an investigator or some other official able to bust him..

Needless to say he promptly hung up, but not before he'd given me his cell phone number which I called back to yell at him and also to report it to the local authorities where the number was originating..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Every day of the week Down Under those so and sos!

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't had an IRS call ... yet. But I had seen on the news they were warning people of them. I can hardly wait. (Not really)

Lisa

C

chas_m

The scam mentioned above is why I plan on sticking with Macs until I die. Life is short, who needs the hassle of an OS that is even vulnerable to these scams?

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But unfortunately, this scam is also taking advantage of the gullible and trusting. The scammers are hoping you will agree to go to their website. Granted, they target windows computers because it is too easy to infect them, especially if the person grants them access. Windows also has about 90% of the market so it is a target rich environment. But, I always keep in mind any computer is vulnerable of the operator gives the scammers access.

Lisa

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonderful idea! Never thought of that. I am willing to bet they will hang up asap. Wonder if that would finally get me off their call lists?

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.