Driver error - Win 7 64 bit install on MacBook Air late 2013 running Mavericks10.9.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch dual-core i7 1.7GHz/8GB/256GB flash. iPhone 4 16GB. iPad mini retina 16GB....
Hello,

My MacBook Air arrived last week with Mavericks pre-installed and I've been unable to install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on it.

I get the following errors:

grSjK.png

and

img0082ua.jpg

Please note the images are not my images, but found them online in other forums - I'm using these purely to show the error messages

I used an ISO file to create a bootable USB to install Windows, which I have done before on an older MBA, using a 32 bit version.

There is nothing wrong with the ISO file I use as it works on other regular laptops (non-Mac). Apple Technical support have so far, asked me to ensure I'm using a retail version of Windows 7 Pro, which I am. It's company software which we download from Microsoft directly.

Not sure if the fact the new MBA comes with USB3 ports could have anything to do with this. :Confused:

The Apple Technical team are in contact with me and this has been escalated to the engineering team, but I've been tirelessly Googling the issue and reading posts of many forums.

So far I've thought about reverting back to Mountain Lion - which I am sure isn't a good move....and also installing Win 7 Pro via a windows partition without using BootCamp.:Confused:

Has anyone else encountered these issues? Any ideas? Please help :[

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So far I've thought about reverting back to Mountain Lion - which I am sure isn't a good move....and also installing Win 7 Pro via a windows partition without using BootCamp.

You can not install Mountain Lion since your new Air came pre-installed with
Mavericks. You can not downgrade. From your statement above I don't know if you're using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 Pro?

The Boot Camp assistant will recognize that your Air does not have an optical drive and offers to create a bootable USB flash drive from your downloaded ISO of Windows 7 Pro. It also advises you to download a driver image from Apple which can be placed on a flash drive to load during the installation process.

How about telling us exactly what steps you've taken as it seems we're missing something here.

M

MacInWin

I think you are trying to use Parallels. One of the top bars in the windows refers to Parallels Desktop. On my Parallels, when I select New for a new system, I am presented with the option of CD/DVD, image or USB. So if Parallels is what you want, then just install from the same image you used to create the install USB, or point to the install USB when offered the opportunity.

If you think you are using BootCamp, that first window shows otherwise. Parallels and BootCamp are two different things.

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch dual-core i7 1.7GHz/8GB/256GB flash. iPhone 4 16GB. iPad mini retina 16GB....
You can not install Mountain Lion since your new Air came pre-installed with
Mavericks. You can not downgrade. From your statement above I don't know if you're using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 Pro?

The Boot Camp assistant will recognize that your Air does not have an optical drive and offers to create a bootable USB flash drive from your downloaded ISO of Windows 7 Pro. It also advises you to download a driver image from Apple which can be placed on a flash drive to load during the installation process.

How about telling us exactly what steps you've taken as it seems we're missing something here.

Hello chscag,

Thanks for your comments, sorry I neglected to include my rundown of events. Hope I haven't missed anything else out. I followed the BootCamp Assistant for this process.

1) Updated the mac via software update

2) Opened Disk Utility to and chose the top level of my 8GB USB stick, formatted to MS-DOS FAT since it was under 32GB...

3) Ran BootCamp Assistant and chose "Create install disk...." - selecting Windows 7 Professional 64 bit ISO from my desktop and destination - my 8GB USB

4) Created Windows partition

5) BootCamp created the Win partition, restarted my MBA and launched into Windows Install.

I got as far as selecting United Kingdom for country/lang preferences and then encountered driver errors.

Please note: I have also tried installing Windows via creating the USB without downloading the support software.

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you are trying to use Parallels. One of the top bars in the windows refers to Parallels Desktop. On my Parallels, when I select New for a new system, I am presented with the option of CD/DVD, image or USB. So if Parallels is what you want, then just install from the same image you used to create the install USB, or point to the install USB when offered the opportunity.

If you think you are using BootCamp, that first window shows otherwise. Parallels and BootCamp are two different things.

Hi MacInWin,

Terribly sorry for any confusion - the images aren't mine which I should have mentioned. Just used them to show the error messages I was getting when I tried to install Windows.

I've since edited my post to reflect this. Thanks for pointing it out to me! :Blushing:

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back the details. It sure seems you did everything correct which is why I don't understand the error you're receiving? Normally Windows would install and reboot. Then you would install the drivers you downloaded from Apple. I'm beginning to suspect that your copy of Windows 7 Pro x 64 bit is a single licensed multiple (corporate) version which is not eligible for Boot Camp installation. The copy is of course legal but for some reason the corporate licensed versions do not work with Boot Camp.

I'm not 100% certain if that's the problem you're running into, so you may wish to confirm this with Apple support. Let us know.

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm beginning to suspect that your copy of Windows 7 Pro x 64 bit is a single licensed multiple (corporate) version which is not eligible for Boot Camp installation. The copy is of course legal but for some reason the corporate licensed versions do not work with Boot Camp.

I'm not 100% certain if that's the problem you're running into, so you may wish to confirm this with Apple support. Let us know.

Hi chscag, thanks for your response. I am currently using an older MBA lower specification, running Windows 7 Pro x32 bit and that is also a corporate version so it's confusing me as to why this x64 bit doesn't work :Grimmace:

Speaking to Apple on Monday....will post what they come up with (if anything)!

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Well, by deleting the first post, this thread now makes no sense because the problem statement is missing. I suggest one of the mods do something to tie together the thread title and the new post #1.

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't delete my original post I merely edited it. I definitely saw afterwards that my post was edited successfully - I didn't delete it.

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm interested to know where my post has gone because I without a doubt, did not delete my post.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm interested to know where my post has gone because I without a doubt, did not delete my post.

There are certain things a newb (sorry) can put in a post which will cause it to go into moderation - it has now been approved.

2013 Macbook Air came with Mountain Lion installed.

The mid '13 MBA is the current model - all of them have shipped with Mavericks since the end of October.

M

MacInWin

I didn't delete my original post I merely edited it. I definitely saw afterwards that my post was edited successfully - I didn't delete it.
I didn't intend to point that at you, more at the Mods to put the first post back so the thread made sense.

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are certain things a newb (sorry) can put in a post which will cause it to go into moderation - it has now been approved.

That's ok I am new and haven't posted on a forum in years I didn't realise my edit would cause the post to be re-approved. I did wonder where it went :)

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't intend to point that at you, more at the Mods to put the first post back so the thread made sense.

Thanks for that :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But it will still run Mountain Lion.

Do you know that for sure? Keep in mind if it does, he would have to completely erase his hard drive and then purchase a copy of Mountain Lion. Also, I don't believe that it would solve his current problem trying to install Win 7 x 64 Pro.

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you know that for sure? Keep in mind if it does, he would have to completely erase his hard drive and then purchase a copy of Mountain Lion. Also, I don't believe that it would solve his current problem trying to install Win 7 x 64 Pro.

I'm definitely a she! :Blushing:

The MBA is new so I don't have any data besides an ISO on the desktop to lose. I am not sure whether I trill resolve my issue....to revert to Mountain Lion but at least I can say I tried that and can eliminate that possible solution.

Apple are due to call me again, tomorrow so I'll post an update on here. My issue is apparently with the senior engineering team. I can't wait to hear what they have to say on this. I hope they come up with a proper explanation for this. I refuse to give up so I hope there is a way to resolve my issue. This MBA should be able to deal with a Win 7 Pro x64 install. :Angry:

Thanks to you all for your input

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, be sure to keep us updated. And sorry about the gender swap.... ;P

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, be sure to keep us updated. And sorry about the gender swap.... ;P

That's ok and "gender swap" made me laugh :D

Trying Windows Enterprise now and feeling really demotivated :(

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Apple support tech I've been dealing with hasn't had reply from the engineers yet (no surprise there) so it's been re-escalated.

While they take their sweet time, I'm becoming more and more frustrated by the day.

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, as promised I have an update and I hope this helps other users in this forum.

The MBA has now been fixed and is currently running Windows 7 Professional x64 bit!!! I'm just installing my software now :D

Here's the fix that worked: Reset the PRAM (Thanks John!)

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25476440#25476440

OS X Mavericks: Reset your computer

Apple support did not have an update on this from the engineers so I'll be contacting them with the links above to let the know what worked for me and hopefully it will save many others a lot of time and stress.:)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my post

I'm so happy the MBA is now up and running on the Windows side!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.