AppleMail shows a folder multiple times in MOVE pulldown

Reaction score
When I MOVE an email from one folder to another, I always see duplicates of the "On My Mac" folder.

Screen+Shot+2014-04-10+at+07.13.13+pm.jpg

Any idea how I can remove the duplicates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Haven't used Mac Mail in quite some time, but from memory, if you right click, or ⌃(control)Click and select delete ?? that should remove them.
As to how they are being made, is another issue altogether.

OP
John Greer
Reaction score
I cannot delete the pointers because there is no right-clink within a pulldown menu.
The folder only exists once, but appears in the pulldown many times.
I wish I knew how the duplicates were created, but...

OP
John Greer
Reaction score
I now remember what I did to create these duplicates.

Back when I first switched from Windows to Mac, I thought it would speed up the Mail App startup and search functions if I archived old mail out of the app. In my Windows days, I would stop the app, rename the mail file, then restart the app. I’d keep the old/archive files for future reference, but as long as they were out of the main mail file, Outlook ran faster.

Not knowing that this duplicate pointer thing was happening, it appears that I did this file renaming nine times at three different points in time. It appears that each time I did this, MAIL would create another pointer so that it now thinks I have 9 of them - but in reality they all point to the very same single file.

Now that we know what caused it, any ideas how I can undo it?

OP
John Greer
Reaction score
The same 9 "On My Mac" folders appear in the mail navigation list, but there is only one real underlying folder. I know this because ~/Library/Mail/V2/Mailboxes only has one Archive.mbox. However, I noticed one look slightly different in the navigation list. I delete that one and the others disappeared...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.