File Sharing Between Users

Reaction score
I am still relatively new to Mac and I have run into a stumbling block. My Mac has two accounts on it. I have my picture folder shared in "Sharing" in System Preferences to both users with read/write access. Folders that have been added once the share was establish are visible as are the list of file in finder, but when the user they are shared to attempts to open them, they get an error message that says. "you do not have permission to open the document....".

What am I doing wrong with the file share? Again, existing (older) folders I am able to open the images when I am logged into the same account that is giving me problems with the new folder/files.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Two accounts will have one as the administrator, while the other is a sub user with select usage. Most people tend to use the administrator. If the alert comes up for password this will be unlocking access. Sharing folders are normally between two computers. Under system preference click on users/groups and then you might need your password when unlock the padlock symbol. next click on your user second account and click on Allow user to admin.
hope this helps.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. That does help. I am going to move the files I need shared between users on the same Mac to the /Users/Shared directly!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the response chas_m. Being newer to Mac, OS X, and iPhoto this is helpful. I haven't gotten to deep into sharing my iPhoto library, but did run into this issue. I will keep this information in mind as I decide if I am going to use iPhoto or some other solution (although I am leaning towards iPhoto).

When I did import, I intentionally did not copy my photos into iPhoto, but has them be referenced by the application. I'm not ready to make this leap with over 10 years of digital pictures.

The questions that I had was along the folders/files themselves and where to store them so they were fully accessible to both users on one Mac. I think I have figured this out by using the /Users/Shared folder for this content.

On a side note, I found your essay for switchers pretty early on when I made the switch this year. I found it very helpful and have used it as a guide thus far. I did cave and put Parallels/Win7 on pretty quickly. I am an old school Quicken user and been able to find an alternative that does the job for me. :p

Thanks again!

C

chas_m

For people who are very comfortable with Quicken, QuickBooks or other programs that genuine have no direct Mac equivalent, you have my blessing to use Windows. :)

(puts on pointy hat, makes sign of OS X across chest)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.