PDF Documents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 27" i7 iMac iPad Air iPhone 6 iPod Classic Sierra
I was recently sent a 14 page interactive pdf document by email 2 pages of which I had to complete and then return to the sender. I completed the required pages and then attempted to return the document to the sender only to be told that it was too big (76.2MB) and exceeded the maximum size document I could send (54MB).
I understand that PDF documents don't compress so I tried to make the document smaller by removing the 12 pages that I didn't need to complete. There was no resultant decrease in size. Can anybody tell me why this is or am I not doing something I should be doing. I used Preview to open and edit the document.

I am using a late 2011 iMac i7 running OS 10.9.2.

Reaction score
Could you not take a screen shot of the relevant PDF file and send them instead.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you not take a screen shot of the relevant PDF file and send them instead.

I did try and alternative method in that I printed the two pages and then scanned them in as JPEES and the n attached these to an email but for some reason the receiver couldn't open the attachment??

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry meant JPEG!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Get Dropbox, drop your document in, and share link to download

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
You can use 'Save as PDF' option in your print dialogue - this will usually discard all the interactive forms and flatten objects, resulting in a much smaller file. Just in case you're not sure where it is:

CMD+P ---> in the printer menu window, at the bottom, in the left-hand corner, click on [PDF] button ---> select Save as PDF

Since you've used Preview to handle the file, I am not suggesting using file optimisation in Acrobat Pro ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.