Help Reallocating Memory

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first time posting and i'm hoping for some help here. I am running Mac OS X version 10.7.5 (haven't updated in years.. should get on that). When I purchased my Mac from my campus computer store, I also bought parallel desktops to run Windows 7 on top of my Mac when needed. The guy at the store didn't ask me how I wanted my memory allocated between Mac and PC, and did a 50/50 split. I rarely ever use my Windows 7, and would like to remove it and reallocate all memory to my startup disc, as my Mac portion memory is full. I have went into storage and disc utility, and I have unmounted the "BOOTCAMP" that is used for PC memory. I have 132/159 GB free in space on the BOOTCAMP I unmounted, and only 8 GB free on my Mac startup disc. So I ask, is there a way to reallocate this 132 GB free space to my Mac, or do I need to go to the apple store and have them do it for me? Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Memory = Ram
Storage Space = Hard Drive.

You're talking about hard drive storage space...not "memory". Just want to get the terminology straight so everyone is on the same page.:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There's a whole lot of confusion going on here..you mention Parallels (a virtualization software) to run Windows and then Bootcamp (a dual-boot solution) to run Windows..

You either have one or the other, if you have both, then that's all messed up. A 50/50 split makes sense with Bootcamp, but not with Parallels..

Either way, follow the instructions here to properly remove the Bootcamp partition and reclaim the space.

Ensure you have good AND working backup of your stuff before you do anything.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks guys, im sorry about my poor wording, i am pretty oblivious about computers and terminology. i will follow the link to remove it, i have nothing worth backing up on my bootcamp. thanks!

OP
S
Reaction score
Raz0r - thanks so much for the link. Removed bootcamp and went from 6GB free to 180GB free on my mac, hasn't run this fast in years.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it's fine if you have nothing important on the Bootcamp (Windows) partition, but since you are playing around with something that's going to affect the OS X side as well, you really should backup your data on the partition you DO care about before trying anything..

One wrong option or move and you could easily end up erasing the OS X partition and stuck with JUST the Windows partition or neither of them..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Raz0r - thanks so much for the link. Removed bootcamp and went from 6GB free to 180GB free on my mac, hasn't run this fast in years.

Glad it went smoothly. As you've found out, OS X does require at least 20-25% of your HDD's capacity free to operate well, otherwise you end up with slowness and other issues..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.