Airport Configuration

Reaction score
Having some trouble getting my network settings right to optimize remote screen sharing using back to my mac. My system is configured like this currently. I want to use remote screen sharing and file sharing while traveling to access my imac at home using my MBA while out of state.
cable--> modem--> time capsule-->wireless signal-->imac
currently i have NO troubles accessing my time capsule on my MBA, and when i am on my home network i can connect easily for screen sharing. when my change my MBA network i can still access it while at home, using my neighbors signal or my iphone, but it seems like after a few hours, when im at work and want to access it using my iphone or work network i cannot access my imac, but can still access the time capsule.
could it be an issue with dynamic IPS? are there other router settings that can keep my IP address constant? i get the error: server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. check the server name or IP address. check your network connection, and then try again."
any help? thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Does you Mac go to sleep?

OP
D
Reaction score
yes it does go to sleep, but isnt the mac supposed to wake up on demmand? im attaching some screen shots.

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 7.27.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 7.27.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 7.27.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 7.27.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 7.27.56 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Your Mac should only wake on demand if you tell it too.

Just for HaHas set it to not sleep. See how far that takes you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check your settings in the energy saver preference pane. In order for the Mac to be awakened by another device on the network, the "Wake for network access " box must be checked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.