Restoring files with time capsule - help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I have time capsule at home and it backed up my computer this morning. I brought the computer to work and downloaded 700 jpg's from a client which turned out to be the wrong pictures. I have an SSD in my computer that stays there, where I keep work stuff. I wanted to delete the jpg's so I searched in finder for jpg, selected all and deleted. I then realized that it searched the ssd drive and deleted important client pictures. I went into the trash and there seems to be no easy way to recover all the files to their original location, at one time. If I bring the computer back home, how do I restore all the files to the computer? Do I have to select each folder that was deleted, from time machine and restore or is there a way to restore the whole computer from the last backup? Thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The easiest way is to just restore the entire backup from Time Machine and your TC. If the last backup you made was recent (you said "this morning"), you should have no trouble recovering everything that was lost.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The easiest way is to just restore the entire backup from Time Machine and your TC. If the last backup you made was recent (you said "this morning"), you should have no trouble recovering everything that was lost.

OK, what is the best way to do that? I found these directions online

Power up your Mac and hold down the command and R keys to enter the Recovery Partition. Your Mac should boot to a screen that says OS X Utilities.
Select Restore from Time Machine Backup and click Continue.
Read the info on the Restore Your System page and click Continue.
Select your Time Machine backup and click Continue.
Select the most recent backup of your hard disk and click Continue. Your Mac will then restore the Time Machine backup; once it's done it will restart.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use those directions as that's probably the easiest way. You can actually initiate a manual restore of any backup date but since you're looking for the most recent (this morning) using those directions will be the fastest and safest way to restore.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use those directions as that's probably the easiest way. You can actually initiate a manual restore of any backup date but since you're looking for the most recent (this morning) using those directions will be the fastest and safest way to restore.

Awesome, thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.