macbook and wifi

Reaction score
Why does my macbook lose wifi? Macbook is 4 years old but is updated with all software that it can handle. I haven't changed wifi in 4 years but occasionally it will not be able to recognize my router. Nothing is wrong with router or internet service when this occurs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Why does my macbook lose wifi? Macbook is 4 years old but is updated with all software that it can handle. I haven't changed wifi in 4 years but occasionally it will not be able to recognize my router. Nothing is wrong with router or internet service when this occurs.

Loose wire maybe? *shrug* I don't know that it's a given that there is nothing wrong with your router either. You should probably give us more details here. What model MacBook? What version OS X? What model router? What is happening when you say it doesn't "recognize" your router, such as.... does it fail to see your router randomly? Does it see ANY other router when this happens? Does the wi-fi icon in your menubar lose all bars when this happens?

OP
C
Reaction score
Macbook runs on OS X . Software 10.6.8.

Yes, I lose all bars on the icon when this happens. My router still comes up; it's the Mac that won't connect to the router. This last time, I was using macbook on wifi in the morning. When I went back to something that afternoon, I couldn't connect.

I reset router and modem and that didn't help. When it would recognize my router, macbook wouldn't accept password.

This is not the first time this has happened. My iphone and my ipad remained connected during the time my macbook wouldn't connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Macbook runs on OS X . Software 10.6.8.

Yes, I lose all bars on the icon when this happens. My router still comes up; it's the Mac that won't connect to the router. This last time, I was using macbook on wifi in the morning. When I went back to something that afternoon, I couldn't connect.

I reset router and modem and that didn't help. When it would recognize my router, macbook wouldn't accept password.

This is not the first time this has happened. My iphone and my ipad remained connected during the time my macbook wouldn't connect.

Try it on a public wi-fi somewhere. Same problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.