Windows 7 question

Reaction score
Do I need 2 usb flash drives in order to install windows 7 on my IMac late 2012 with bootcamp.

OP
A
Reaction score
But I can i just check the install windows 7 option in bootcamp and then return to osx to download Windows support software on the same usb?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I can i just check the install windows 7 option in bootcamp and then return to osx to download Windows support software on the same usb?

No, because you would have to run the Boot Camp assistant again in order to download the drivers from Apple. It's best to have a separate flash drive on hand for the drivers. A small flash drive is all you need for that.

OP
A
Reaction score
Now I am facing another problem. after bootcamp puts the files on the usb(including windows support software) my mac reboots and the windows 7 wizzard starts. after I click install now, a windows shows up asking me to select the drivers to be installed. I click browse and select the drivers folder, it tells me that no drivers have been found. i've read that this step should occur after i install windows 7. what's the problem?

OP
A
Reaction score
yes, the usb is connected during the process, and no, windows 7 does not install. the installation stops right after I click install windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
A
Reaction score
I DID create a bootable flash drive via the bootcamp. I think the problem is that i'm using a 3.0 instead of a 2.0.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure I understand...? USB 3.0 is backward compatible with the USB 2.0 ports on your Mac. Did you check the flash drive to see if it would boot your Mac? You can do that by inserting the flash drive, reboot and hold down the Option key. If the flash drive is bootable, it will show up as a boot choice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How did you make the bootable Flash drive of the windows 7 installer?

OP
A
Reaction score
ok, so here are the steps I followed : first I checked the first and the last checkbox in bootcamp(Install windows 7 and create a windows 7 or later version install disk). then I selected the iso file containing my copy of windows 7. bootcamp started to format my usb and it put windows' files on it. then i made the partition and my mac rebooted with windows. I then clicked install now and the "Select drivers" window showed up. even though I point to the drivers folder on my usb, it still doesn't accept them, and i'm stuck, because the Next button is grated up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.