• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Pirates of Silicon Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2 Ghz C2D, 2 Gb RAM, 120 Gb Hd, 2 gig black nano
yeah you can rent the movie at blockbuster. I know I rented it a few weeks ago since I enjoyed the movie when it was on tv.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
You have to figure, no company is clean. Atleast gates donates alot of his money to charity. His children are only getting about 1billion when he dies total.

MPW

Reaction score
Graphite said:
You have to figure, no company is clean. Atleast gates donates alot of his money to charity. His children are only getting about 1billion when he dies total.

Gates may give money to charity, however he lets everyone know when and how much he gives away which is a little sleazy. Also I think money given to charity in tax deducible (to a certain point).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is wrong with letting anyone know how much you donate? Everyone thinks hes evil, so he makes a shotty OS, him as a person is a good human being. I think no less of him or his father for donating alot of their fortune. The majority of Bill's fortune will be given at his death. So obviously he is not that horrible of a person. Who cares what people think of you when your dead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
MPW said:
Gates may give money to charity, however he lets everyone know when and how much he gives away which is a little sleazy. Also I think money given to charity in tax deducible (to a certain point).

How many people give money anonymously? Just about every museum or performing arts center is named after the major contributor. So what? I give money to a family in Kenya every month-- am I sleezy for telling you and writing it off on my taxes?

MPW

Reaction score
dan828 said:
So what? I give money to a family in Kenya every month-- am I sleezy for telling you and writing it off on my taxes?

I don’t know do you tell everyone about it, and use it as an example as why you are a good person?

In others words do you do it to help the family or do you do it to make yourself feel better?

MPW

Reaction score
Graphite said:
What is wrong with letting anyone know how much you donate?

It just goes against my values. If I decide to donate money to charity I expect nothing in return, no tax break no publicity nothing. I just want to try to help out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well when I give, I graciously accept 'thank you' gifts... am I a bad person for accepting them? This topic has changed drastically... ha.

OP
C

CharlesP2001

Gates does generously donate money, and I respect him for that. I don't, however respect Microsoft or the way it operates. They offer shoddy products, are sleazy in their business practices, and I don't think they deserve to be the biggest software company. I certainly hope that other companies can come up and seriously threaten Microsoft. If Microsoft falls out and loses a lot of its fortune they'll certainly be encouraged to offer better products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are the biggest software company because they have proven themselves. Sure they make junk, but thats because its so cheap. You guys are comparing a Hugo to a Porsche. You spend more money to get more out of it, you spend cheap on software, your going to get cheap software. That appealed to the average person, and still does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Graphite said:
You spend more money to get more out of it, you spend cheap on software, your going to get cheap software.

Yet Windoze XP Home Edition is around $190 for the full program and OS X Tiger is around $110.

These prices come from a large online retailer and so are available to the average person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok or try $129.99 for osx, and try $99 for windows upgrade or full version $98 on amazon.com (one of windows listed sites to 'buy' windows xp.

and either way, a mac costs more than a pc.

OP
C

CharlesP2001

Or try $69 for OSX from Apple with edu discount and $119.98 for Windows XP from every Walmart i've seen.

Graphite said:
ok or try $129.99 for osx, and try $99 for windows upgrade or full version $98 on amazon.com (one of windows listed sites to 'buy' windows xp.

and either way, a mac costs more than a pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good lord kids, THE AVERAGE person is NOT a student, so seriously, u have missed my point now shut up and stop arguing a moot point. PCs are cheaper.

OP
C

CharlesP2001

Temper temper....

Graphite said:
good lord kids, THE AVERAGE person is NOT a student, so seriously, u have missed my point now shut up and stop arguing a moot point. PCs are cheaper.

Reaction score
What an old discussion. Yes, PC's are cheaper but the price-value ratio is obviously appropriate, considering we are buying "designer boxes" with "designer OS" and iLife.

Apple never played the upgrade market, but you can use the coupons that come with your mac to gt discounts.

So Apple chose a way in the middle, instead of confusing customers with 20 boxes (i.e., "Windows XP special March Edition for corporate users whose sons study at Stanford" vs "Windows XP Service Pack 72.3.8 SE RSVP BYOB)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
A friend of my dad's used to work at Microsoft and was aparently was very high up in the company. He said that Bill was a very nice guy until you had to do buisness with him that's when he turns nasty. He said that when in meetings if you didn't give an answer to any of his question with in 3 seconds you where practically fired! This was because Bill didn't want any half thought out ideas, he wanted ideas that had every possible option pre planned. But this was just him being a great buisness man.

Last year Bill said that he would be retiring from MS this year as he wants to refocus on his charity, the Bill and Linda gates fund and I hope it all goes well for him. I think he has finally gotten to the point where he wants to do good with all that cash. Aparently the same thing will be happening with Ballmers as well.

edit - I have the feeling Ballmers won't be remembered for his "great wisdom"...

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Steve_Ballmer

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.