• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Rip xp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Happens to the best of us eventually...

os9xp.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can hear TAPS playing! :D

It was my favorite OS when it first came out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
BOY - wife & I lived w/ XP for many years and enjoyed! Our old Dell DT had it installed but has been sitting around for a year since our Apple conversion last spring - last 2 days, I booted into a DBAN (Derik's Boot & Nuke) iso disc and wipe the HD, then installed XUbuntu w/ another iso disc - actually nice little program - will just donate to Goodwill in the near future! :) Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just think of all the OS versions Apple has gone thru in the same time XP has been around.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
XP was around a LONG time in 'computer years' - was on that Dell of ours for 8 years (updated to SP3); plus, I retired in 2011 w/ XP on my office computer - believe I was on XP there for 10 years (got a new computer but the IT guys just transferred my old installation over) - the IT people don't relish changing OSs unless there's a BIG reason - as I recall Vista was skipped, so I'm assuming the medical center where I worked is likely on Windows 7 now? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I hung on to Windows 2000 for a long time before going to XP. At the time, XP was for users and gamers and no one in my field would be caught dead on anything other than NT or 2000 (assuming they weren't running Slackware or SUSE). Anyhow, I ran XP until ~2010 when I got a free copy of Win7 through work. MY wife still has an XP VM to run some old stuff.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was another fan of Windows 2000 but XP's interface and better Plug N Play won me over except for my server which continued to run 2000 Server.

XP and 2000 for that matter were much more stable then OS 8-9 and with true preemptive Multitasking and flat page memory I really never had the system crash. In fact my 2000 server never crashed once in the years I had it up hosting my sites and other sites I was running for local business's in the area! Very stable.

My Macs sat unused till OSX first came out. Then when 10.2 came out I was able to finally enjoy Macs again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I still have XP on my MBP via BootCamp. I can't remember the last time I booted into it since I now have Windows 7 on my iMac via Virtual Box.

I really preferred XP over 2000, but now if I had to use Windows (and I do every day at work), I would prefer 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I've had XP as a vm in VirtualBox for seven years now, almost to the day. First on RH/Fedora and Debian, then Ubuntu, then, when I switched to Mac completely, on OSX. The single purpose of having XP, for me, is to be able to access and work with tons of CorelDRAW X3 files, that I'm just too lazy to convert to inDesign or Scribus, or PageMaker before that - if it ain't broke, and all that ...

Apart from the initial setup and service patch install, this virtual machine has never been allowed online, and now never will be. Thanks to some skin app I forgotten the name of, it looks like OSX and when I need to use it, about once every couple of months, I don't feel like I'm violating my own "no Microsoft products" policy :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.