Audio Glitching Randomly

Reaction score
Hi -

I'm having an issue whereby (seemingly randomly) the audio on my machine starts glitching and stuttering - sometimes it's more like popping / clipping noises (but very intrusive) and other times it sound like there's an echo which repeats very briefly everything in the audio, which comes across like a stuttering effect.

It happens in iTunes, Quicktime Player, VLC, youtube, previewing audio in Finder etc

The only place this doesn't happen at all (which is pretty fortunate) is Logic X - which always behaves totally fine - I assume this could be a clue for someone that may point to the issue?! Funnily enough in looking at an old session on Logic 9, it does do the stuttering there....

I'm using an Apogee Duet audio interface, all the drivers are up to date, as is all the software on the Mac.

I'm not sure what triggers the issue, but frequency-wise it may happen 4 times during a movie - and it then irons itself out and is totally fine...(but during the melt down it's unbearable!)

Any help at all would be very gratefully received, I have to find a way to fix this issue!
I've seen similar posts on other forums, but no solutions....

Thanks,
Mike

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Early 2013)
Apogee Duet Audio Interface
OS X 10.9.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core I7
16GB Ram 1600 MHz DDR3

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What happens when you remove the Apogee Duet? Does the sound return to normal?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi -

At a quick check, it actually seems fine when using 'built-in internal speakers' as the output.

The Duet is a few years old and a firewire device, so i'm using an Apple Thurderbolt - Firewire converter in order to use it.... I wonder if getting a different audio interface might solve the issue?

Any thoughts welcome - thanks for replying :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Duet should last longer than two years I would think, but if removing it returns the sound to normal through the built in speakers, that eliminates your machine's hardware as the problem. Before you outlay $ for a new interface, I would try the Duet on another machine if at all possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.