I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Thanks again, guys. Good advice and I shall heed it. But the fact still remains that I can't do the drag 'n drop thing. I have tried using smaller SD cards (not SDHC Micro cards in an adaptor), I have tried various sized USB sticks and 2 external hard drives connected by a USB lead and in all cases, when I highlight the file that I want to copy from the desktop to the storage device, as soon as I drag the file into the storage folder a white circle with a diagonal bar through it appears and it isn't possible to copy the file.
Any clues?
Cheers,
Steve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks again, guys. Good advice and I shall heed it. But the fact still remains that I can't do the drag 'n drop thing. I have tried using smaller SD cards (not SDHC Micro cards in an adaptor), I have tried various sized USB sticks and 2 external hard drives connected by a USB lead and in all cases, when I highlight the file that I want to copy from the desktop to the storage device, as soon as I drag the file into the storage folder a white circle with a diagonal bar through it appears and it isn't possible to copy the file.
Any clues?
Cheers,
Steve.

Ok, first off, where exactly are these files located? How big are they? Highlight one that won't move, then press CMD-I to get an info sheet.

How exactly are the "normal" SD cards formatted? Select one in Finder and press CMD-I to get the info sheet. See my screen cap for an example. And are they even "normal"? Where did you get them? What specific brand/model?

screenshot_01.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Steve, are you able to copy/move files within your main HD? From a desktop to a folder?
What about copying files from a Documents folder (your desktop is not really an intended storage place for your files) to say, Downloads folder, or vice versa?

If any of these are giving you errors, go to Disk Utility, select your main HD and click Verify Disk Permissions, wait for it to finish, and if it lists any errors, click on Repair Disk Permissions.

You've mentioned USB sticks and external HDs - are these all newly acquired? If not, were you able to use them before? Can you see files on, and can you copy a file, from external USB storage to your main HD?

If there's nothing stored on a particular USB drive, try to reformat it, after verifying it is indeed formatted correctly, as lifeisabeach above suggested.

Also, rather than drag-and-drop, can you try CMD-C and CMD-V ? Shouldn't make a difference, if everything is configured correctly, but if it does, it'll be a clue...

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
lifesabeach asked ..... Ok, first off, where exactly are these files located?

The files that I want to move to the SD card are located on my desktop. They are located inside folders named for the author. There are 26 Authurs with anything between 6 and 42 novels inside each folder and they are all under 600kb

The first SD card to be tested is one that I have had for about 4 years. It is 128mb in size. The Format line says .....MS-DOS (FAT 16) There is no actual name on the card unless "Multimediacard" is a registered name.

The next one to try is a 1gb MicroSD card in an adapter. I've had it for years and it hs been used with no problems at all. According to the Info it is formatted as MS-DOS (FAT 16) and has a capacity of 966.5mb.

The next one is similar in build up but it is a 128 mb micro SD card in an adaptor. As before, owned for years and used to drag/drop files many times in the past with no problems. This one is formatted just the same as the first 2 but this one has a capacity of 122.5 mb.
I'll leave it there for now and get on with some work.
Cheers all,
Steve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Verify that the SD cards have no contents on them, and make sure you empty the trash while they are mounted. If you still can't write anything to them, then take them to your Windows laptop and see if it can write to them. If the laptop can't, then something is wrong with those cards.

Reaction score
I downloaded a bunch of ePub books from our library to my MBP and encountered the same problem when I tried to copy them to a thumb drive. The files cannot be copied because the author(s) have protected them. It's like copyright protection for eBooks. The SD card is good if data files, excel files, documents, etc., will copy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 @ 3.5 GHz
Finder

Two other ways...
1. In a finder window open the card. Copy the files. Open the card window. Make a new folder, open it. Paste into the new folder.

2. In a finder window, open the folder with thee pubs. Select all.
Open a second finder window, navigate to mini, make a new folder. Open the new folder. Drag the selected file into the new mini ffolder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.