No My Book Icon

Reaction score
I returned from a week's vacation and turned my computer on but the My Book icon did not appear. Everything is plugged in. The My Book light is on (right now going up and down) so I assume My Book is working but no icon.

Does this indicate something is wrong?

Thanks as usual for any help you can offer.

Bob

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not necessarily. I've got a MyBook and it's a touch flaky when it comes to showing up in Finder. That said, it doesn't mean that it's not working. A simple way to know is to either reboot the MyBook or connect to it manually. If you choose the latter option, open a Finder window and go to Go > "Connect to Server..." Once that's open, enter the following:
Code:
smb://<ip addr>
Replace <ip addr> with the IP address of the MyBook.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't know if you have this setting already checked...but go to:

- Finder/Desktop
- Finder drop down menu
- Preferences
- General tab
- select all boxes you desire (specifically the "external disks" box)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks - the external disks box is checked.
When I opened Time Machine I get a window that says my Time Machine Back Up Disk can't be found but when I click set up time machine it tells me the latest back up was one week ago (when I turned the computer off) and that my next one will be when the disk is connected. In the time machine window when I choose Select Disk it gives me the red circle with a line through it.

A button in the window with the red circle that said Stop Backup was highlighted and I clicked on that which turned the time machine button to off. Turning it on again opened a window that asks if I want to Set Up time Capsule. Clicking on that opens the Airport Utility Window ???? And if I click cancel in that window it turns off Time Machine.

Now what?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Rebooting does nothing. Why does it open Airport Utility when I click on the Setup Time Capsule button? And if I click the Cance button Time Machine turns off. Now I have no back up ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Rebooting does nothing. Why does it open Airport Utility when I click on the Setup Time Capsule button? And if I click the Cance button Time Machine turns off. Now I have no back up ...

Because that's how the Time Capsule is setup. Do you have a Time Capsule? You were referring to a My Book external hard drive not a Time Capsule.

If all you have is the external My Book WD drive, select Disk Utilities from Applications, Utilities and run a verify on the drive if it can be "seen" by Disk Utility. Let us know.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have a My Book external hard drive and Time Machine which as I understand back up data to the My Book.

When I open Disk Utility this is what I see on the left side of the window

320.07 GB Hitachi HDP825032GLA380
Macintosh HD
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-KO6A

----------------------------------------------------------
SKYPE _2-1.8.0.851.dmg
installer.dmg

There is nothing in the larger window.

Here is the exact sequence of what happens when I open Time Machine

Click on Time Machine and a window opens that says "You haven't selected a location
for Time Machine Backups
To select a location for backups, set up Time Machine
Buttons Cancel Set Up Time Machine

Click on Set Up Time Machine Button and a Time Machine window opens. The On / Off
button is OFF.

Turn button on and a blank window opens with three buttons the first two are highlighted. The same sequence below occurs if I click on the Select Backup Disk on the Time Machine Window.

Set Up Time Capsule Cancel Use for Backup

Click on Set Up Time Capsule and Airport window opens
Click on Cancel and Time Machine turns to OFF

Thanks for all your patience but I need a little hand holding on this. Do I need to go into Airport Utility to set up Tine Machine and even so, what happened to My Book? If Disk Utility doesn't see My Book, is it no longer there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Again, if you don't have a Time Capsule, you do not need to use or activate the airport utility. I realize that it can be confusing but you can ignore anything that has to do with Time Capsule.

I suspect your WD My Book external hard drive may have failed or the enclosure which it is in has failed. Disk Utility is only "seeing" your internal Macintosh HD (Hitachi 320 GB) your optical drive and a Skype image which you haven't ejected.

If your My Book is still under warranty (WD warranty is three years) you can contact Western Digital on their support web page and request a RMA. They will replace the drive with a new one. You can find out about their support and turn around on the same web page.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect your WD My Book external hard drive may have failed or the enclosure which it is in has failed.

After reviewing things in this thread...I was just about to suggest the same thing. The external HD and/or HD housing may have bit the dust.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
After reviewing the entire thread I tried ferrarr's suggestion - "Shut down the computer. Unplug the My Book. Restart the computer, when you get to the desktop plug in the My Book"

This simple solution did the trick. The backup disk came back and time machine turned on and started backing up. I guess that just because its a computer doesn't mean that a problem has to have a complicated fix ...

Thank you all for your time and effort to help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats. Much better than a dead HD!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.