iPhoto problem

Reaction score
Yesterday I removed Mavericks from my MacBook because (a) my MacBook appears to be too old to handle it, (b) I cannot run Logic Pro 9 in Mavericks.

I clean-installed Mountain Lion. Logic 9 works now!

HOWEVER, when I try to use iPhoto now, it says my iPhoto version is too new and will not run in Mountain Lion--GO FIGURE!

Does anyone know a solution other than another clean-instal?

Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
iPhoto is part of iLife and a clean install will not bring that back you have to run the iPhoto version that matches the OS either re-install from backup or purchase from App Store.

C

chas_m

The problem may or may not be the iPhoto application and is more likely to be the iPhoto library which actually got upgraded. If that's the case, I'm afraid I have no idea what you can do about that.

OP
C
Reaction score
iPhoto

Hi Chas_M

It looks like you're right. I tried to restore iPhoto from backup but it's giving me the same result.

I will take it to Genius Bar …. they must fix it.

Cheers

Charlie

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi all

Follow up to this post by me:

I took my Macbook to Genius Bar and for the first time ever, the "genius" got it wrong. Very disappointing. However I called the Apple help line and the fellow who answered fixed my problem.

The genius said that the only way to fix it was to do a restore..no thanks!!! I would have to find all the data since the restore point and recover bit by bit, as I understand it. She said either that or purchase the iPhoto version I required. Sorry, why?! I didn't cause the problem…Apple's Mavericks was the problem…it will not work 100% on my 5 1/2 yr old MacBook. She was adamant there was no other solution, so really her problem is her attitude. She should have thought: (a) It's not his fault, it's a Mac issue; (b) there HAS to be a solution that does not incur cost to me.

My attitude was that there HAS to be an easier way. There was:

The helpline did not charge me because I correctly insisted the problem was not of my making and not because my hardware.

The solution: I will explain as well as I can and I hope it's correct:
Because I had opened my iPhoto LIBRARY using Mavericks iPhoto, the library was permanently altered in a way that prevented use of the older iPhoto version.

(Mavericks is the first OS that includes iPhoto in the package).

However we created a new, empty library, fetched the old iPhoto application from my backup, transferred the old photos to the new library folder, and voila!

I felt I should let the community know, in case someone else has same problem. Call the help line if my explanation is not clear.

Charlie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.