Problems With Games..

O

Oriflamme

I currently have Warcraft III installed on my Mac. I am using a G3 800Mhz procesor. The strange thing is that it lags and it is very irritating.. I have a P3 800Mhz processor with the same memory (256) mac. The ironical thing is that WC3 works well and smooth with my PC and not with the Mac. Other games noticabily lag too. I wonder is there something wrong with the graphics card or processor? Thanks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
My guess is the video card, I don't see why it should lag that much.

Although, the G3 isn't that fast, i think it would probably measure up to a Pentium II or so.. although, I really don't know.

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Nahh, the g3 and the p3 are pretty much the same chip speeds.. so that wouldn't be it. My guess is the OS you are running on your Mac vs your PC. 800Mhz G3 would probly be running OSX, AND somthing I just noticed is your on an iBook, therefore that is your problem, there is no laptop equivalent to the speed of a Desktop at the same mhz. But to continue, the Mac OSX would be a more advanced OS therefore taking up more CPU to run it, leaving less for Warcraft III, my advice, use OS9 on your mac to play games (though its not safe).. Or try using Xp on your P3 and then try to run warcraft III. you will noticed a huge difference.

OP
O

Oriflamme

Graphite said:
Nahh, the g3 and the p3 are pretty much the same chip speeds.. so that wouldn't be it. My guess is the OS you are running on your Mac vs your PC. 800Mhz G3 would probly be running OSX, AND somthing I just noticed is your on an iBook, therefore that is your problem, there is no laptop equivalent to the speed of a Desktop at the same mhz. But to continue, the Mac OSX would be a more advanced OS therefore taking up more CPU to run it, leaving less for Warcraft III, my advice, use OS9 on your mac to play games (though its not safe).. Or try using Xp on your P3 and then try to run warcraft III. you will noticed a huge difference.

The weird thing is that when it comes to graphics processing.. I bet my G3 will beat even a P4 2 Ghz or par with it. I remember of the advanced way of caluculating the G3/G4 chipset uses which enables the chip to use less heartz compared to Intel to calculate a single equation. This leaves me to puzzle why then in gaming G3 looses out. If OS X were to be a good OS, it shouldn't take up so much processing power so that people aren't forced to upgrade. And since they gave that OS together with the laptop. I am sure that they should have tested it and see if it fits. G4 shouldn't have a prob. But have they thought abt G3's? A clear eg. of a better OS which is more advanced and complicated is Win XP. I can install Win XP for my AMD Duron ( Equv. to a P2) and see a noticable increase in loading time in the OS and the opening up of stuff compared to the less advanced and older OS ( Win 98/Me)

OP
O

Oriflamme

1 more thing to add. I tried disabling the recycling of various desktop pics on the desktop. It helped quite a bit but compared to my P3 800Mhz PC, it is still kinda behind. ( Warcraft III)This proves that this OS ain that good after all. It actually slows down/Lag ur working abilities. I thought that this was much better than Win XP. Looks like I am partially wrong now..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Once again as you overlooked his comment, laptops are NOT equivelant to speed with desktops at the same mhz.

They shipped you your iBook with OS X on it? Who did? A seller from eBay or Apple?

And your comment about the Opertating System using too many resources for your iBook "forcing people to upgrade" isn't the case. G3 is 2 Processors behind, that's a lot in the computer world. As time moves forward with faster computers the Operating System will get BETTER and also use more resources, but with the faster computers it's not noticable. Sorry this didn't turn out to be your case in your iBook.

sKaD

OP
O

Oriflamme

sKaD said:
Once again as you overlooked his comment, laptops are NOT equivelant to speed with desktops at the same mhz.

They shipped you your iBook with OS X on it? Who did? A seller from eBay or Apple?

And your comment about the Opertating System using too many resources for your iBook "forcing people to upgrade" isn't the case. G3 is 2 Processors behind, that's a lot in the computer world. As time moves forward with faster computers the Operating System will get BETTER and also use more resources, but with the faster computers it's not noticable. Sorry this didn't turn out to be your case in your iBook.

sKaD

You don't seem to get my point. I am saying.. You can't deny the fact that the way apple computers calculate stuff is different than PC's. Also, it is known that they uses less steps to calculate a prob than a PC. So it should be able to handle the complex instructions from OS X well. Also, compared to Win XP which is also suppose to use more resources and is BETTER, Mac OS X isn't really good because unlike Win XP which runs quite well even for my P2 computer, the G3 which is much faster shows signs of lag here and there. My Point is.. Both OS systems are new and suppose to use up more resources but Win XP doesn't and shows improved startup delay ( Compared to Win 98 ) Older OS ) Also, navigation is faster than the Old OS. This seems not the case for Mac. I am from Spore so I bought it from a Mac Store. They gave OS X together. A real disappointment after such a heavy investment..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.