Folders within folders

Reaction score
When there are folders within folders, they are in alphabetical order interspersed with the files. Is there a way to have all of the folders before any of the files within a given folder? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I assume you are using Icon View. If so, the answer is yes, but it might not be perfect. Right click on the window and choose Show View Options. Now find "Arrange by:" about 2/3 of the way down. Click the arrow and select "Kind". This will separate items by type, aka, kind.

You might want to try this on your top level folder (home folder) or Documents folder first, and then click the button at the bottom that says "Use as defaults" before closing Show View Options. This is supposed to apply your choices to all folders within the folder you do that to. From what I've seen, it doesn't always work. You might have to do it for multiple folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I've been using TotalFinder for the last four years, and it's been great ... It'll put folders at the top, among other things - very useful app :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.9 GHz 6-Core i9 MacOS 13.6; iPhone 6S; G4 Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1152MB OS X 10.5.8.
I just rename folders to have a space at the beginning of the name, so sort sequence by name forces them to the top.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.