Web Designer looking to upgrade to Macbook Pro 15" retina, need advice!

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a web/graphic designer for my company and I am looking to upgrade my mac. I can't decide what to get and I would appreciate any suggestions/advice!

I've recently sold my macbook air with the intention to get the 13" retina macbook pro.

But then my husband suggested I sell my '09 24inch imac as well and use the money from both the computers to get a 15' retina macbook pro instead.

I am not sure what to do! My original plan was to keep my iMac at the office and use the 13" for when I have to work from home or travel.

I really would like the 15", but I have some reservations. For one, I'll need to carry it back and forth to work as this will be my only computer. And I have briefly read about the issues of designing for the web on a retina screen, which is a major concern. Also, I think I'll miss my big 24 inch screen from my iMac.....

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I really would like the 15", but I have some reservations. For one, I'll need to carry it back and forth to work as this will be my only computer.

If you are concerned about weight...well...laptops used to be a LOT heavier.;)

Also, I think I'll miss my big 24 inch screen from my iMac.....

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

If you have weight concerns with a 15" MacBook Pro...you could get a 13" retina MacBook Pro...and in either case (13" or 15") get a nice large external monitor when you are at a desk at home or work. Thus you would also have a large display like you have/had with your 24" iMac.:)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Nick.
I am not too concerned about the weight - as the macbook pros are pretty light.. I think I am concerned about burning out the 15" with the heavy usage and it constantly being plugged into an eternal monitor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am not too concerned about the weight - as the macbook pros are pretty light..
Ok great!:)

I think I am concerned about burning out the 15" with the heavy usage and it constantly being plugged into an eternal monitor.

Many many folks use laptop computers 100% of the time...so I don't think there should be concerns about wearing or burning it out. They are built to be used this way.:)

Other than physical accidents that happen with laptops (basically because they are mobile/portable). If I was choosing between a laptop or an iMac (for example)...I really wouldn't have any expectation that the iMac would last longer than a MacBook Pro (due to number of hours of use or computing demands put on it). Just avoid physical accidents & liquid spills...and things are good.:)

I have a 2011 17" MacBook Pro that I always have connected to a 30" Apple Cinema Display...no problamo.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.