Latest Viruses and Malware

Reaction score
I've never considered Macs to be immune to attacks, only better prepared and protected. However, for the passed couple of days I've been trying to rid myself of strings of pop-up ads, etc. I use Google Chrome and can't even get the front page to load as it used to. Anyone having the same issues? Anyone have solutions? I have MacKeeper, ClamXav, and Avast! installed and still the problems linger. :Grimmace:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have MacKeeper, ClamXav, and Avast! installed and still the problems linger. :Grimmace:

There's three problems right there. I would uninstall all of them.

If you want more info on this...do a Mac-Forums search...since this has been covered so many times...I get a headache just thinking about it!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thread moved to better sub-forum.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have MacKeeper, ClamXav, and Avast! installed and still the problems linger. :Grimmace:

Yikes!!! Well, for one thing, I would start by uninstalling at least two of those programs. Multiple antivirus programs will gum up your computer more than help it. It's not like if one is good the two is better and so on.

I run google chrome on both my MBP and MB air. I have not had any issues as the ones you are having. I do have chrome, under settings - advanced - privacy, enabled for phishing and malware protection.

I do use sophos antivirus only because I will download stuff for windows machines and use it to scan to avoid getting viruses on my windows machines. This has actually worked well for me.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yikes!!!

I do use sophos antivirus only because I will download stuff for windows machines and use it to scan to avoid getting viruses on my windows machines. This has actually worked well for me.

Lisa

It should work well for that purpose. Most of the anti virus programs are actually relying on windows based virus definitions IIRC.

OP
K
Reaction score
Viruses & Malware

Thanks guys. I've uninstalled the anti-virus programs and as soon as I did that this virus link popped up .... rvzr-a.akamaihd (outdated link removed). This is one I've been trying to get rid of for the last 2 days!:Grimmace:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of the three things you mentioned (and not uninstalled)...MacKeeper is the very worst of them!!!:(

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Remove all extensions from your browser.
You will likely need to reset your home page and the default search engine also.

And need to make sure you are choosing the 'Custom' install whenever you install anything from the web - especially Cnet, Downloads dot com and several others. What did you install a couple days ago and from where?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will likely need to reset your home page and the default search engine also.

And need to make sure you are choosing the 'Custom' install whenever you install anything from the web - especially Cnet, Downloads dot com and several others. What did you install a couple days ago and from where?

I agree. You will need to do the above and uninstall any installs you have done since this problem arrived. ALWAYS custom install programs because the recent trend is to include unwanted toolbars, extensions, adware garbage with the program.

Lisa

OP
K
Reaction score
I downloaded all anti-virus programs from Cnet.com ... MacKeeper a while ago because of its high rating and I was looking for something to use to optimize my iMac. I have now uninstalled all 3 programs after following the advice and comments from you all. That being said, what can I use to help optimize, etc my computer?

Also, this is the window that keeps popping up periodically:
(outdated link removed)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You got that by downloading from Cnet and then allowing their installer to put adware/malware on your computer because you used the default install instead of the custom install.

You still need to do the following to get rid of the junk Cnet installed on your computer.

If you don't know how to remove extensions...
Safari
Firefox
Chrome

As an aside: Not sure what makes you think MacKeeper has a high rating - besides maybe the ads they pay for everywhere you go on the web with a Mac. There is certainly no long time actively participating member in this forum that has ever given that software a high rating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
KOKODA,

Bobtomay is right. You need to go into your browser and disable your extensions. Google the website link you have listed and you will see a bunch of listings for how to remove (in windows) the problem. Some of the suggestions will be applicable for browser removal as the settings are the same across OS's. They will also give you an idea of how this adware works.

Oh, and never install from CNET without using custom. That's how you get unwanted stuff. If you choose to run an antivirus, it won't catch toolbars or extensions because they are not considered malware by the scanner.

And Mackeeper sucks, Onyx rulles....just sayin'.

Lisa

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As an aside: Not sure what makes you think MacKeeper has a high rating - besides maybe the ads they pay for everywhere you go on the web with a Mac. There is certainly no long time actively participating member in this forum that has ever given that software a high rating.

I have seen MacKeeper get high reviews on certain download sites, where they can rig the reviews by having paid shills write them.

From what I've seen recently, MacKeeper isn't as damaging as it once was. It's still mostly redundant to free software that does a better job of what little maintenance is required by OS X, but I don't think its existence alone is enough to cause the kinds of problems the OP is seeing.

With that said, I take issue with any company that advertises in an unscrupulous way - and MacKeeper has a long, sordid history of doing just that. Not to mention that at one time, it wasn't even native code, but some Windows utilities running under WINE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.