Identifying computer activity

Reaction score
My computer sent/received exactly 2GB data yesterday evening but I don't know what was it. I found it out because my internet connection has 10GB months limit (wireless) so when I connected at 8pm I had 4.5GB left but at 11pm I had just 2.5GB left. I didn't watch any videos or HD pictures just read articles. Also, I had photo stream disable and denied automatically download all attachments in my email client. I'm not aware that system downloaded any updates.
How I said, is any possibility to find out in system what was uploaded/downloaded backward in time?
I haven't used any third party apps for data monitoring.
My OS X version is 10.9.2

Thanks for answers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If your computer has an active webpage (or tabbed webpage) that has advertising videos on it (that reload or change every couple of minutes)...this can eat up a lot of bandwidth.

If I was on a internet plan with limits...I would definitely close all webpages with this sort of content on it before walking away from the computer (if the computer was left powered on).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
OK it could be however 2GB for ad is a bit much.. I'm aware that an internet plan with limits is pain in the butt, but my question been - Is any possibility to find it in system backward?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK it could be however 2GB for ad is a bit much..

I'm not talking just one advertisement. I'm talking different advertisements that change/rotate every few minutes. Think about a different advertisement video every 3-5 minutes over the course of the 3 hours you mentioned (8pm to 11pm). That can add up to a lot of bandwidth.

I'm not saying this IS the issue. Just a possibility.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I understand, thanks for your contribution Nick. However, one thing is against. The same windows I had open even hours and practically there was no loss then.. As I wrote, I read the articles in the forum and had open about three windows (all the time the same). I visit this website frequently and never happened before. I was thinking some other program than chrome/safari.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand, thanks for your contribution Nick. However, one thing is against. The same windows I had open even hours and practically there was no loss then.. As I wrote, I read the articles in the forum and had open about three windows (all the time the same). I visit this website frequently and never happened before. I was thinking some other program than chrome/safari.

Hey...just coming up with guess's/theories on what it could be based on the info given.:) If you say the computer conditions for those guess's/theories don't work...no problem...you know your computer better than me.:)

The internet browser I'm thinking would be the best bet for data use/loss while away from the computer. But maybe you have something else installed that remains active while away.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Here's a general best practice that may fix the issue:

1. QUIT (not close) all programs when you're done with them. They only take a second or two to relaunch anyway. Hint: red button at the top left is not QUIT.

2. You may have running torrent programs in use by you or someone on your network that you may not known about. On a plan with limits like yours, this is NOT AN OPTION for practical use. Shut them down.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On a plan with limits like yours, this is NOT AN OPTION for practical use. Shut them down.

Seems like pretty sound advice to me.:)

@OP: I'm sure going over the monthly limit probably isn't cheap. And who wants to lose internet access these days due to reaching a data limit (and not wanting to pay extra for going over the limit).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I have never used any p2p networks and also it's impossible that someone used my internet account because I'm using the unique voucher number which is just for one computer (internet provider in a hotel). I've got a suspicion that it could be itunes or another Mac app but I need to check it. So does exist any command in the terminal which can show the network data in/out history? I'm sure that system keeps a log process.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does exist any command in the terminal which can show the network data in/out history? I'm sure that system keeps a log process.

Just so you know...I know that you've asked this question a couple times...and to be honest...I'm not sure (I haven't ever run into this problem).

What I found (with some internet searching)...is that it seems you need to have something (an app or OS X setting) already in place to track computer activity. There's also a OS X app called "Console" (mentioned in the 3rd link)...that may work to find activity info.

Here are some links to this info:

OS X Parental Control - Activity Logs
How to Monitor a Mac Computer: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Mac Equivalent of Task Manager, Command Prompt and Event Viewer

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A variation of chas_m's suggestion (quit all open apps).

- Turn off the computers WiFi (if connected via WiFi).
- Unplug the ethernet cable (if connected via ethernet). A brute-force approach!;)
- Also if connected via ethernet. There's probably a "Network" preference setting to turn off connectivity (it's been a very long time since I used ethernet).;)

* Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.