IMac: upgrade or buy new?

Reaction score
I have a 2.66 GHz late 2009 iMac with hard drive issues. I would like to have the drive replaced with new larger drive (3Tb?). I'm not a techie and would hire this done. I hear terms like fashion drive, solid state drive, etc. but do notundrerstand what these options are or which might be best for me. I am an artist and work with lots of photos. What additional info would you need to help me determine what I would need?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A solid state drive (SSD) of a size greater than around 500 GB is going to be expensive. I'm not even sure if anyone makes a solid state drive of 3 TB in size. Your best purchase would be to buy a 2 or 3 TB hard drive and have someone install it for you. Installing a hard drive in an iMac is a difficult procedure for a do it yourself project. You can have Apple do it for you or any authorized Apple repair service. Make sure you get an estimate of cost first.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response. I just returned to NY from a month visit in Dallas and enjoyed my time there. There is an Apple auth shop near me where I can have the replacement done and memory added. My only concern is with the age of the computer, is replacing the drive a good idea? I hate to sink the money into a new iMac, but I also don't want to be left behind in a year or two unable to run new OS & software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, that's a decision you need to make. A 2009 iMac is getting a bit dated but still a useful machine. A new iMac especially if you go top of the line, is going to cost around $2000 or more depending on how loaded it is. Adding a large hard drive and memory to your iMac plus the cost of labor is probably going to set you back close to $500. You may be able to get the work done for less. You can always save by installing the memory yourself since that's an easy do it yourself task.

OP
C
Reaction score
Again thanks. I guess $500 or so isn't a bad investment for a couple more years out if the machine.

C

chas_m

Consider installing a hybrid drive instead of a full SSD. You get 90+ percent of the speed, plus massive storage amounts, for way cheaper.

PS. If you're doing anything that is (or will be) graphically intense (example: watch an HD movie), I'd suggest moving on rather than upgrading. 2009 was not a great year for video cards, and that's not upgradable in your machine.

Reaction score
Cheap Mac Air

You should buy a new one as now adays upgrading will cost you much more than buying a new one. I can suggest to a site from where you can get a mac air just at $249.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You should buy a new one as now adays upgrading will cost you much more than buying a new one. I can suggest to a site from where you can get a mac air just at $249.

I'm going to suggest that the link you referenced is not legitimate (link removed). Post it again...and you'll be banned!

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, chas_m for your thoughts. I will look into that option. This is my workhorse machine. I typically watch movies on my iPad Air, so that's not an issue.
Cheyanna

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick: he's a spammer. That's what they do.

Well aware of that.:) 99% of spam on Mac-Forums is never seen by the membership due to automatic controls, fast action by the staff, and reports by members.:)

This member is/was a bit more subtle with the link...and didn't want to ban them in case it was an innocent mistake (benefit of the doubt).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh you are a soft hearted oldie Nick. First post spam and out the door lol!

C

chas_m

Normally when I report spam posts, the spam post is then removed. This spam post is still here with the link removed. Change of policy?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Normally when I report spam posts, the spam post is then removed. This spam post is still here with the link removed. Change of policy?

The post above was never reported by anyone. It was spotted by the Mac-Forums staff...and dealt with. Judgement calls are made as to how to handle these sort of situations. It's not always a one-size-fits-all process.

Let please focus on the thread topic.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
I just replaced my long-dead internal drive (Early 2008, 2.8 GHz iMac) with an OWC SSD, and I can say I got a whole new machine out of it.
It cold-boots in about 20 seconds, and applications open right now! Best upgrade I've ever done or had done, and there have been lots in 30 years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.