Getting internet (probably wifi) on my Mac Pro

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MANY even experienced Mac users have made the same mistake Dave. MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. Many owners also interchange the names, so do not feel bad. You are a great help here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
MANY even experienced Mac users have made the same mistake Dave. MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. Many owners also interchange the names, so do not feel bad. You are a great help here.

Thanks Sly & Dennis - I'm new to the 'Apple Nomenclature' and will pay closer attention before responding in the future - :) Dave

Reaction score
wifi

I was using WiFi, but when I wanted to easily use more than one computer I switched my device to MiFi. It connects any device in my house. I use my Ipad, my MacBook Pro and my Kindle without any difficulty.

over36

OP
D
Reaction score
Here's another question. I used to get my internet on my desktop by turning on internet sharing on my laptop as you can see in the image attached. I would then connect my laptop to my desktop via ethernet cable and the internet worked no problem. One day my laptop froze and I had to restart it. Since then, the internet (airport) has continued to work on my laptop but the internet sharing seems to have stopped even though i still have it turned on on my laptop's settings. Any advice?

Screen shot 2014-04-18 at 11.39.05 AM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, could I buy something like this and just get wifi on my Mac Pro desktop from this device????

300Mbps USB WiFi LAN Card WiFi 802 11 N G B Adapter Antenna for Desktop Laptop | eBay

I've used one of these devices with an older Mac Pro that did not have a wireless card. It actually worked well. The only issue I had was with device drivers. I updated the OS and the supplied driver stopped working which meant the device stopped working.

A few weeks later I found a working driver by finding out what chipset was involved and going to that site. The vendor whose name was on the device still had the older driver on their site.

I'll do some thinking and see if I can figure out internet sharing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.