Phone or SIM failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
My wife and I have identical iPhone4 phones with the same carrier. When together in a 3G reception area both our phones register a 3G signal but whereas my wife can access the internet as normal my phone acts like a paperweight. Email gives an 'Email server cannot be found' error, most other apps just show a spinning circle and then give up although Twitter sometimes manages to get an update after a while.

Is this behaviour likely to be a hardware phone problem or a SIM card error?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be either one, but since it's easier to swap out a SIM card that's what I would try first. Your carrier can copy any data from your current SIM card to a new one. I have had a SIM card go bad on me before. The symptoms vary from the phone losing the carrier signal while showing 4 bars, to intermittent operation of the phone's functions.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks chscag. Even though both are still under contract my supplier wants to charge me £10 for a new SIM 'to see if that fixes it'. Not too impressed with that sort of 'service' but I'll see if I can get a free replacement from them 'to see it that fixes it' and buy if it does or return it (and the phone for repair) if it doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Quickest way to test phone will be to swop SIM cards with your wife and see what happens.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quickest way to test phone will be to swop SIM cards with your wife and see what happens.

I thought of that and tried it but seemingly not so straight forward. Having swopped, we could not access any email (Hotmail, AOL, Zen) either using Mail or Safari on either phone. Either got the message that mail server was not responding or a message to say check settings. On my phone (with my wife's SIM card) Facebook would update (but not display any posted images) but Twitter app resolutely would not update. On my wife's phone neither would update. Similarly neither would display BBC news app nor find Amazon on Safari. My wife's phone responded as expected once we had returned her SIM card to it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As you found out, you can not swap sim cards between phones as each sim is programmed for that particular instrument. Again if possible, ask your carrier to try a new sim card in your phone. I don't understand why they wouldn't do that for free. A £10 fee for a replacement sim isn't very good service.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was the carrier that suggested we swop SIM cards first!!!

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update. Thought I'd have nothing to lose by updating to iOS 7. This has fixed the problem! 3G working perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.