g5 power pc worthless?

Reaction score
just got a power pc g5 with 10.5.8... no flash update available... no vids, no audio... is there no hope for this pc? Its fast enough but everything uses flash!!! Is an Intel based G5 with 10.6 or higher my only salvation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
G5 is pre intel. 10.6 is however the last version with both PPC and Intel binaries. Therefore it is the best that that machine will ever get.
You should be able to find a 10.6 install disc on eBay. Just don't expect to have support or development for 10.6 much longer.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The G5 won't run 10.6

If you need/want to run the latest software your only choice is to upgrade to an Intel based machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
10.5.8 is the "newest" OS that will run on a Powermac G5.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
just got a power pc g5 with 10.5.8...

If these things were important to you...too bad you didn't come here first and asked these questions before buying.:)

My guess is...you didn't pay too much for it (I hope). It's still a fun machine to mess around on.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try Flash Player 10.1 for older PowerPC models. That will be as good as it gets as later versions abandoned PowerPC for Intel models.

Archived Flash Player versions

C

chas_m

just got a power pc g5 with 10.5.8... no flash update available... no vids, no audio... is there no hope for this pc? Its fast enough but everything uses flash!!! Is an Intel based G5 with 10.6 or higher my only salvation?

You mean an Intel-based Mac (no such thing as an Intel G5). Not sure if you're referring to an iMac, Mac mini or Power Mac, but the last PowerPC models of those are from early 2007 or so ... that's a loooong time ago, computer-wise!

(not to self: start spreading the "dog years = computer years" meme so that people understand better why they have to replace things every half-decade or so)

It should be no surprise that a seven-year-old PPC Mac works about as well as a seven-year-old PC. There is a flash version available for such old machines, but you'll still find that it doesn't work with a lot of newer Flash animation, plus you'll have oodles of security issues that haven't been fixed in the old versions ...

So I guess what I'm saying is yes -- if you want a machine that works with all the modern Internet technology, HD video, compatibility with the new mobile toys and so forth, you want something fairly recent (doesn't have to be brand new, but obviously the newer the better). I'm writing this on a 2009 MacBook Pro, and apart from the lame video card it does everything beautifully, so I'd suggest getting something from 2010 or newer for the best experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
I have a 2.5 GHz Quad G5 and I can watch flash all day long. Running 10.5.8. The quality is seriously lacking but it works. The one thing that I HATE about that computer is that it sucks with google. Everything is so slow with it.

C

chas_m

rfomlover: you could alleviate some of the pain by switching to the HTML5 settings for video from YouTube (et al) ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.