• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Back to my pc

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wish I had some of the stuff I owned at one time.

Let's see.... I started off with a Commodore 64c (that was the one where they finally ditched the breadbox case and went with something that more resembles a modern keyboard). Then later, a 128. I lusted after an Amiga 500 when those came out, but couldn't convince the parents it was time for an upgrade until the oddball Amiga 600 came out. I saved my pennies and dimes and eventually was able to retire the 13" Zenith color TV I had attached to it, in favor of that very same Commodore 1084S monitor Dennis has in his picture. I believe I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 for it... believe it or not.

When I got my first job, working as a clerk/cashier at an IGA market, I saved up and bought a used Amiga 2000HD, which was my first computer with an actual hard disk. If I remember correctly, it had a Quantum (remember them?) 50MB 3.5" disk mounted to a SCSI card, that sat in an expansion slot.

Years later, I stumbled upon someone trying to trade an Amiga 4000 that they had inherited from an uncle that passed away. They wanted something that ran Windows 95... so I quick cobbled together a PC from computer show parts and traded. I believe that machine was probably worth somewhere north of $3000 (at the time) because it had a full Video Toaster 4000 card in it - and those were still in high demand because Commodore had gone bankrupt, but the Video Toaster was still a highly sought after video editing solution.

I used that Amiga 4000 right up until 1999 or so. I even overclocked the Motorola 68040 from the original 25Mhz to 40MHz (I soldered in a new crystal oscillator, which was the only way to overclock back in the day) so that I could play Quake on it. Someone even wrote a Mac emulator (I believe it was called "Shapeshifter") and with a set of ROMs that I had harvested from a Mac at school, I was able to run OS 7 or OS 8 (as I recall).

After that, I finally relented and built a PC for myself, using an old Gateway 2000 full tower case that someone was going to throw out. Ah, those were the days...

Last edited:
Reaction score
The original Newark in the UK where the Pilgrim Fa
Your Mac's Specs
Well it is my son's actually - Power Mac G5 twin processor (2004) model
Well I do like Linux but I am old enough to know what coding is! .. and FORTRAN .. and also the RISC processors such as ARM's and the earlier RiscPCs that ran RISCOS .. Yes I still have one of these too.

My time with MACs started a long time ago but my recent PowerMac G5 left a lot to be desired as the cooling system leaked and now I can't get it to run at all properly after replacing the main board and processor .. $$$$$$ leaking away! Back to Linux and Intel processors! :-(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My time with MACs started a long time ago...

Must not have been that long ago if you are still the abbreviation "MAC's". This is a "newbie" thing!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
The original Newark in the UK where the Pilgrim Fa
Your Mac's Specs
Well it is my son's actually - Power Mac G5 twin processor (2004) model
When I say a long time ago .. back in the 1980's with an Apple IIe ... and then in the 1990's with a Macintosh .... so I was expecting great things with a PowerMac G5 but have been very disappointed!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The PowerMac G5 has not been made for many years. Why not try an Intel Mac before you walk away?
\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
.... so I was expecting great things with a PowerMac G5 but have been very disappointed!

Powermac G5's are 8-9 years old...and max OS is 10.5.8 (we are on 10.9.x now)...4 versions newer. So with almost any 8-9 year old computer (running an out-dated OS)...there will be disappointments.

- Nick

Reaction score
I have had enough of Mavericks connectivity issues !!!!!!:Grimmace:
Wasn't aware Mavericks was having connectivity issues. Ha, not sure I've heard of someone jumping ship to windows to incur less difficulties.
Anyway, thanks for sharing?

Reaction score
Commodore 64

I am going back to my commodore 64 as I find OSX, Windows and Linux all stink! Commie here I come! :D Where is my Epyx FastLoad cartridge? :D Grin

I had a 64, and also a 128, then an Amiga. Wish I has saved them all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I used that Amiga 4000 right up until 1999 or so. I even overclocked the Motorola 68040 from the original 25Mhz to 40MHz (I soldered in a new crystal oscillator, which was the only way to overclock back in the day) so that I could play Quake on it.

My son bought an Amiga 4000 back when they were popular. What a fantastic machine it was. I remember him telling me all the things he could do with it; stuff that wasn't even imaginable on an IBM machine. BTW, I still have my DOS copy of Quake laying around somewhere in my old software junk piles. :)

Reaction score
My son bought an Amiga 4000 back when they were popular. What a fantastic machine it was. I remember him telling me all the things he could do with it; stuff that wasn't even imaginable on an IBM machine. BTW, I still have my DOS copy of Quake laying around somewhere in my old software junk piles. :)

Man... you go way back. A man who knows what a DOS switch is! Feeling my age bro. Peace. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.