• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

lets talk about 3d printing!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Who all is interested in 3D printing?

I have read some mainstream articles on the topic and listened to quite a few podcasts. Mostly they just applaud how neat it will be someday when the costs come down and their use is more universal.

I know some of the assembled versions run from low around 800 or 1k and the sky is the limit from there. Apparently there are some that you 'stick build' from blue prints or from the manufacture's instructions. That would be one I get in the future maybe.

Anybody out there in m-f land have one? Or have used one (they can be found in some places local libraries)?

I think they are pretty neat, but I more than likely wont own one for a few years (unless some ppl in here can yeild stories about how easy and cheap they are.. haha).

The method of how designs are shared is pretty interesting to me. Apparently there are certain file types that are ubiquitous to all 3D printers, and AutoCad is vital to a home creator or the indutrial engineer. I guess there are some data bases (maintained by google .. maybe?) that store some pretty basic designs that anybody who has an internet connection and a printer can utilize and alter after the fact.

I dont really bring much to the discussion other than being interested, hoping there are some zealots in here that have some knowledge to drop.

thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This is one piece of tech that I have a hard time justifying even if the cost coms down considerably, Maybe it's a lack of creativity on my part but I just can't think of enough important projects I would do often enough.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
At one point a lot of people probably couldn't justify buying a computer.. a machine that can become other machines

I like to think of a 3D printer as something you would have in your garage.. in a few years there will be power tools that cost as much as a 3D printer. a tool that can build other tools

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I for one would love a 3D printer. Prices have really came down the past few years. I wouldn't need a highly complex one. But, I have other things to purchase at the moment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you need to wear those weird looking glasses when you print? ;P :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would love to have one as soon as the price comes down.
I could see me making holders for phone/pad to go desk and auto.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Do you need to wear those weird looking glasses when you print? ;P :Cool:

Ha, nope. But those might be one of the cheaper things that you could purchase.
The 'platforms' the builds happen on have to be heated, and are not ALL reusable.
There is the obvious cost of the device its self and all the materials needed to construct things.
There is a lot of time devoted to just the simplest things.

There are A LOT of negatives about it.. but like i said earlier.. ppl felt that way about cars, computers, and countless other things too.. It's hard to tell where it will lead...

No 3D owners in here huh? Surprising..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
We use one all the time at work for prototyping small parts . . . though not me personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Looking forward to the price coming down so I can try out some of those DEFCAD files for myself! From what I've been reading, the metal-media printers are just now becoming viable for building usable things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.