Settings For Wireless Printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
I am very challenged with technology and about a week ago I got a new iMac. I had a MacBookPro previously so I am not new to the Apple OS but I have had a lot of questions recently due to the change of computers. I am very grateful to those who take the time to answer my questions - which to most of you are so simple - on to the point of this post -
Yesterday I bought an Apple Time Capsule (2T). I had no trouble setting it up and it's doing automatic back-ups every hour just as it should. I also have an iPad Air which I had no trouble setting up to connect through the new Time Capsule. They are the only two wireless or "wired" devices in my house - but that's it, my new iMac and the iPad Air. Both connect to the internet and much faster than with my previous six year old Apple Time Capsule!
About a year ago or perhaps a little longer than that I bought a basic Epson printer, model
"Epson WF-M1030", which is only a B&W printer but it has wireless capacity and for a year or so I used it wirelessly printing from my MacBookPro. I have spent two hours trying to get it to print wirelessly from my new iMac - without success. If I hook the printer to my iMac with a
cable it prints just fine. Everything has been re-booted too many times and when I try to print something from my iMac - to the printer via the wireless connection - I always get the "looking for printer" message and nothing happens. I have gone into "System Preferences" for both the network and the printer but obviously I have something (or several things?) set up wrong.
Any ideas on what to try to resolve this issue. THX Bill

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to go through the Epson Wireless setup again, this time for the iMac. Break out your Epson manual and follow the wireless setup instructions. It's probably best to completely remove or delete the Epson printer from System Preferences, Printer & Scanners and start over from new. Make sure that you have the latest Epson driver for Mavericks installed before you start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
According to Epson's website this is ethernet ready and wireless b,g and n.
In the setup for wireless does it have a place to enter your SSID and password?
Also I bet it is keeping your old SSID and password from your previous router which needs to be edited.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If he goes through the Epson wireless setup again, that will clear out the old SSID, password, and IP address. Best to start from new. Epson uses the LCD window located on the printer to do a visual setup. It's real easy to follow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I could not tell from the picture but that is exactly how my XP-610 setup with the LCD window.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Thanks! I am printing wirelessly again!

I had tried a bunch of different approaches to this simple problem but the key seemed to be deleting the printer from my new iMac and starting over with the install CD that came with the printer - as chscag suggested! It is set up with WAP2 Security. Thanks so much for the help - specifically to start over as if I had just bought the printer! I was downloading drivers from Epson and loading them and changing settings in "System Preferences" for Printers and for my Network (see how lost I am with all of this)! Once again "Mac Forums" came to my rescue - and again I feel like an idiot for the lack of skill I have with all of this! However, an idiot that's printing wirelessly once again!

This printer does not have an LCD window - no fax or copy or anything except ONLY black & white printing. I am retired from my full time job and although I am helpless in many technology issues I am very proficient in using Excel and setting up financial data sheets. Thus I only need to print those in black & white. With this printer I don't have to keep buying color ink cartridges that sit there in the printer unused and go bad - but then you have to replace them for the printer to work even if printing only in B&W.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I keep an older HP LaserJet around just for printing black and white. I do a lot of printing on pre-punched 3 hole paper to load in binders. And believe or not, my fancy Epson printer barfs when I load pre-punched 3 hole paper. It gives me an out of paper error. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.