Maverick too slow went back to Snow Lepoard

Reaction score
Hey guys. I had to wipe Maverick off my MBP Mid 2009 because it slowed it down so bad. So I am running Snow Leopard right now. I read that Time Machine backup might not be able to work from Maverick back to Snow so I copied my entire user file to my EHD just in case.

I have tried importing my mail messages back into Mail. I have tried using Mail/import/Apple Mail folders import but no messages. I have tried other options of importing with the same problem. I have also tried copying my mailbox folder from my old user to my new. The folders show up but no messages. Now, when I open the files in my EHD and click on individual messages, I can see them. How can I get them to import?

How can I put the entire user back on this OS? I was right, Time Machine won't recognize any of my Maverick backups. Now what?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As you found out "downgrading" your OS has its hazards. If you had made a cloned backup of Snow Leopard prior to upgrading to Mavericks, your move back to Snow Leopard would have been very easy.

One way you may be able to recover mail is if it still remains on the server. In other words if you had not chosen to remove mail from the server after it's downloaded. If the mail is still there. access your account from the web and move the mail to your in box. That may mean a large download but it will allow recovery.

You can't import your mail directly back because the Mail version used in Snow Leopard is different than Mavericks. It won't recognize the mail messages although the folders will import.

Everything else from your user folder should copy back to Snow Leopard with the exception of data that was upgraded to Mavericks.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a copy of either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

C

chas_m

You know, upping your RAM beyond 2GB (I'm making an assumption that this was the root of your issue, since *nobody* else here has seen this issue) might have actually made the whole Mavericks upgrade work fine as it has for millions of other users ... just sayin' ...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You know, upping your RAM beyond 2GB (I'm making an assumption that this was the root of your issue, since *nobody* else here has seen this issue)...

I think that your mind-reading skills must be beyond the rest of us mere mortals!;) But you may be right...too little ram could be an issue.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am using a MBP 2009 10.9.2 that came with 4GB and it was running faster than any OS to date but I did up it to 8GB because I was starting to get more page in/outs. It shows 5GB of usage occasionally and part is do to the fact I have shared ram for video no dedicated video card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I think that your mind-reading skills must be beyond the rest of us mere mortals!;) But you may be right...too little ram could be an issue.

Or too little free drive space, though I would bet on the RAM first.

OP
T
Reaction score
I upped my ram to 8 but not willing to go through the pain in the *** it was to revert back to Mountain Lion if I have the same issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.